Everyone loves cake; it is one of those desserts that are hard to resists and hits the spot each and every time it is enjoyed. Instead of baking a cake that is loaded with sugar and topped with even more when it is frosted or iced it is a good time to sink your teeth into a cake that is healthier. This recipe provides those wholesome ingredients that are good for your health such as pecans, zucchini, bananas and applesauce. A vegetable and fruit loaf cake is easy to prepare, slice and control portions too.
There are times when you are aching to bake and the bananas are either not ripe enough or they ripen way too fast for your liking. To rush the ripening process of a banana, place it in a plastic bag and leave in a warm area of the house. The banana will ripen faster than if it was just left out on the counter in an air-conditioned home. Now if you want to delay the ripening process of bananas just place them in a plastic bag, seal it and be sure to push as much air out of the bag as possible and place it in the refrigerator. The banana skin will turn a dark brown color leaving the flesh inside un-colored, firm and delicious.
- 2 cups of zucchini grated
- ½ cup of chopped Pecans
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of whole-wheat flour
- 1 ripe banana
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups of granulated sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup of canola oil
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Lightly spray 2 loaf pans with cooking oil.
- Place pecans on a cookie sheet and place in oven to toast pecans and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove cookie tray from oven and set aside allowing the nuts to cool down.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the baking soda, baking powder, salt and both types of flour and set bowl aside.
- In another mixing bowl combine the applesauce, banana, vanilla, eggs, and sugar together making sure everything is well mixed.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients a little at a time to the applesauce bowl. Be sure to stir constantly so the two mixtures are blended into one another and form a thick but smooth texture and set bowl aside.
- Take the cooled down pecans and give them a rough chop.
- Now, spill the nuts into mixing bowl along with the grated zucchini. Using a wooden spoon gently fold the nuts and zucchini into the applesauce mixture.
- Divide the zucchini mixture between the two loaf pans.
- Bake in oven for 55-65 minutes or, until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove pans from oven and place on a cooking rack.
- Allow pans to cool down for about 15 minutes.
- Using pot holders or oven mitts turn the loaves out of the pans.
- Place the cake onto the wire cooling racks allowing them to cool completely.
- Once this confection is completely cool place them on a serving platter or cake dish.
- Slice cake into slices before serving
© 2015 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved