This year’s Gen Con, which begins for some retailers tomorrow, is one of the biggest gaming conventions in the United States, spanning every form of gaming from card to role-playing to miniature games and everything in between. Here’s some highlights of what you can expect:
- Dwarven Forge (booth #1201) will be debuting actual production City Builder pieces – both unpainted and painted – from their recent Kickstarter. You can preorder sets at the show and even taken part in the first ever Dwarvenite Bazaar in which individual pieces will be for sale by the pound. Dwarven Forge is also launching coins from Dwarven Forge founder Stefan’s Portnoy’s Kingdom of Valoria and will be available for purchase.
- From 10 to 12 noon every day, Modiphius Entertainment (booth #2530) will demo the Thunderbirds board game prototype with Matt Leacock. Recent releases include: Mindjammer – Hearts & Minds: The first adventure for the FATE based sci-fi RPG and LUGU: A storytelling card game described as DIXIT meets Rory’s Story Cubes.
- Warpo (booth #2939) returns to Gen Con as a recipient of Gen Con’s Marketing Fellowship. Warpo will host the Cthulhu All-Stars Summit on Saturday at noon in Paizo seminar room 233, which will culminate in a live séance for the ghost of H.P. Lovecraft. The booth will give con goers a first look at the new 12” Cthulhu Standard Edition, 12” Cthulhu Glow in the Dark Edition, and the Legends of Cthulhu Collector Club Kit, the full line of Legends of Cthulhu 3.75” action figures and select Kickstarter premiums, such as the LoC coloring book and posters, will be available for purchase. Fans who use the hashtag #CthulhuIsComing will be entered into a drawing each day to win one of the Signature Series Legends of Cthulhu figures, and in the final drawing on Saturday, a chance to win the one-of-a-kind 12” Cthulhu Glow in the Dark Edition prototype (the winner must be present at the Warpo booth at the time of the drawing).
- Chaosium (booth #501) will share a booth with Moon Design Publications, Petersen Games and Design Mechanism. The future of Chaosium seminar, featuring Greg Stafford and Sandy Petersen, will take place at the Crowne Plaza: Pennsylvania Stn A at 4:00 pm Thursday afternoon, where they will make a “very important announcement about the future of Chaosium.”
- Syrinscape (booth #1045), the award-winning app that puts the power of custom, movie-like sound effects, soundscapes, and music, into the hands of the gamer, will debut the next-gen in tabletop gaming in the Dicestormers’ Live RPG Plus, brought to life by Syrinscape, Realm Works, and Dicestormers host Benjamin Loomes. Live RPG Plus will take place on Friday from 2 to 3 p.m. and is an audience-driven interactive Pathfinder RPG adventure, featuring Paizo creative director James Jacobs, Gen Con owner/CEO Adrian Swartout, Green Ronin founder and president Chris Pramas, and Lone Wolf data entry specialist Jeremy Land. Additionally, the Syrinscape booth will be transformed into a recording studio, where attendees will step up to the microphone to contribute to a variety of monster and NPC special effects, to be made into the official Gen Con SoundSet. Participants get a free copy of the SoundSet.
- Goodman Games (booth #525) coordinated the launch of its Metamorphosis Alpha: Epsilon City Kickstarter with Gen Con: pledgers get an exclusive Captain badge ribbon that fits perfectly for display on your Gen Con badge. Visit the Goodman Games booth and bring proof of your pledge (mobile phone is fine) to claim your badge ribbon. Goodman Games will have a strong presence with its Dungeon Crawl Classics and X-Crawl tournaments, as well as several panels: What’s New With Goodman Games? on Saturday at 7:00 PM for insights, announcements, and special guests (Crowne Plaza, Pennsylvania Station Room #B); How to Write Adventure Modules That Don’t Suck! on Friday at 7:00 PM for the best advice the company has to offer! (Crowne Plaza, Pennsylvania Station Room #B); Artist-Palooza will take place at the booth on Friday 11:00-Noon and Saturday 1:00-2:00, featuring artists Steve Crompton, Doug Kovacs, Brad McDevitt, Jeremy Mohler and Stegan Poag; Writer-Palooza will take place at the booth on Friday 1:00-2:00 p.m., featuring authors Steven Bean, Jobe Bittman, Tim Callahan, Michael Curtis, Joseph Goodman, Jon Hershberger, Brendan LaSalle, Terry Olson, Harley Stroh, Jim Wampler, and Dieter Zimmerman in one place at the same time. .
- Finally, Peter Adkison, founder of Wizards of the Coast, co-owner of Gen Con, and filmmaker (The Devil Walks in Salem), will conduct a screening of Chaldea (booth #2332) at midnight on Saturday night/Sunday morning in the Westin Grand Ballroom III, and will feature a live Q&A with Adkison, Steve Conard, and Duke Seifried. Created by Adkison, along with long-time collaborator Steve Conard, and developed directly from scenarios gamed by players in Adkison’s RPG campaigns dating back to 1982, Chaldea brings those games to life in a trans-media web series, using motion graphics, music, sound, and live action film sequences. Throughout Gen Con Indy, fans can visit the Chaldea booth to play the Chaldea Experience, a walk-up-and-roleplay experience designed by Jonathan Tweet, as well as meet & greet/autograph sessions with some of the Chaldea cast, including Jen Page, Sarah Moore, and Duke Seifired. There will also be giveaways at the booth and at the premier, including character prints, posters, and DVDs.