The second Annual Tutu 5k was held on Sunday, September 27, 2015 at the Wall Municipal Complex in Wall Township, New Jersey. The event was staged by RunCollege which has put on several Tutu themed events. The event helped raise funds for Rescue Rudge Animal Shelter that is trying to by their own shelter. Many supporters of the shelter participated in the event. It was directed by Karen Charles of Wall Township who is a coach at RunCollege. Karen is also a volunteer at the Rescue Ridge Animal Shelter and came up with the idea to stage the event.
Wall Township Mayor George Newberry was on hand to offer support and addressed the crowd prior to the start. He commended Rescue Ridge for their efforts and jokingly claimed, “There is a statute that prevents Mayors from wearing a Tutu.” There was a preliminary one mile walk that started at 9:00 a.m. and about 100 participated and made their way around the soccer fields in one large lop. The 5K started at 9:30 a.m. Some 250 runners clad in their tutus lined up at the start on the soccer field. Karen Charles gave the final instructions, and then the National Anthem was sung. Karen then gave the “on your mark, get set, go” command and the runners were off with background music of “Born to Run”.
Photos – Video
The runners made their way around the entire complex in two loops. There were many supporters along the way with signs encouraging the runners on. The top 22 finishers’ male and female each received a distinctive beer mug. After the 5k awards were presented to the top finishers. Then the real competition began for the best looking in their tutu. A team of judges selected the top 5 men and women and then the crowd was asked to cheer for the best. The Tutu King and Queen were then crowned. There were plenty of smiles, lots of laughs and just an all around fun morning for all involved.
After all the activity at the complex many of the participants headed over to the nearby Spring Lake Tap House for a well-deserved celebration. According to Karen Charles the next Tutu Run will be held on Saturday, April 30, 2016 and it will help the Boys and Girls Clubs of Monmouth and Ocean County. It will be held in Asbury Park with a venue at the Asbury Festhalle and Biegarten, Registration information will be available soon and will be available on the RunCollege Web Site. RunCollege will be busy with a new beginner’s class led by Coach Karen that will start on Monday, October 5, 2015. Tutu is not required.
Runners will have plenty to look forward to in coming weeks to include:
- Saturday, October 3, 10K, REI 10K, Lewis Morris County Park, New Jersey
- Saturday, October 3, SAC X Country, Thompson Park, Middletown, New Jersey
- Sunday, October 4, 1 mile at 8:30 am, 3 Mile at 9 a.m. Tanner’s Run, Seaside Park, New Jersey
- Sunday, October 4, 5k at 10:00 a.m., 1 Mile Color Run at 9:30 a.m., Toddler Trots at 10:00 a.m., Mya’s Run for Gold, Joe Palia Park, Ocean Township, New Jersey
- Sunday, October 4, 13.1, 5k, Jersey Shore Half Marathon, Sandy Hook, New Jersey On Line Registration
- Sunday, October 4, 13.1 Miles, Princeton Half Marathon, Princeton, New Jersey
- Sunday, October 4, 5K, Little Silver 5K Classic, Little Silver, New Jersey
- Sunday, October 4, 8:30 a.m. 5K, Allaire 5K, Allaire State Park, Wall, New Jersey On Line Registration
- Thursday, October 8, 2 p.m. PSEG Nuclear Run, Salem, New Jersey