The Big Island of Hawaii is the largest, yet youngest, island in the entire chain of Hawaiian islands. It’s also incredibly diverse, with a wide range of activities, tours, volcano excursions, snorkeling trips, and horseback riding to name just a few of the many things to do on the island.
Here’s a list of the top 10 activities on The Big Island of Hawaii.
- Visiting one of the world’s most active volcano – Kilauea – is an absolute “must-do” activity on The Big Island. You can actually see earth being created either from the land via a hike or from the ocean via a tour boat. Pick what is comfortable for you – but do see one of the most amazing sights on our planet. See Lava is a top tour company.
- Ziplining through unspoiled and breathtaking mountains and valleys, soaring high above The Big Island is one of the most incredible events you’ll ever experience. The Big Island Zipline is known for outstanding experiences. Kona Eco Adventures also is a credible operator. Kohala Zipline is also very good.
- Saddle up and see rolling green pastures with ocean views as a true Hawaiian paniolo (Hawaiian for cowboy) for a few hours. Paniolo Adventures is one of the best at showing you a different perspective of the biggest of the Hawaiian island.
- Float above the blue waters of Kona under a parachute, as a parasail experience is one you’ll never forget. The Big Island has several parasailing operators and UFO Parasail is one of the oldest and most experienced.
- Snorkeling and seeing dolphins should be high on your “to-do list” and Body Glove as some of the best tours for tourists and visitors to The Big Island. Fair Wind is also an excellent tour operator.
- Fly above the active Kilauea volcano in a tour plane from Big Island Air. You’ll see lush green valleys, dramatic waterfalls, and ancient, historic Hawaiian settlements. Safari Helicopters is a respected name in the helicopter tour business. Blue Hawaiian is a consistent winner of tour awards.
- You can’t visit The Big Island of Hawaii without going to a luau, and the Waikoloa Beach Marriott Sunset Luau might be the best on the island. Island Breeze Haleo Luau provides a true luau experience.
- Don’t forget about looking under the ocean, too. Atlantis Submarines in Kona is the best in the industry and you can combine a submarine adventure with a luau or a snorkel trip for a better price.
- Take a day and visit the Mauna Kea Summit, where you’ll experience the air and views at over 13,000 feet above the sea level. Mauna Kea Summit Adventures has over 35 years of experience and will give you a day you’ll never forget.
- Sportfishing is one of The Big Island’s most popular activities, and it’s a great way to spend a day on the ocean. Hilo Sportfishing is one of the top sportfishing charter companies. Makana Lani Charters is another reputable operator to consider.
Best Suggestion. Get a really good map of The Big Island of Hawaii. Spend some time studying where you’ll be staying on the island, and see where these activities are located compared to where you are and some of the activities you want to do while on the island. No matter where you go on the Big Island, you’ll be close to one of these outstanding activities.
Travel, Top 10 Lists, Polls Only & Homemade Food!
The Hawaiian island of Maui is an incredible island to visit, and Waikiki is one of the most famous beaches. Also, Honolulu airport is the “gateway” to Bangkok, one of the most visited cities in the world.
Lists & Polls Of Everything! Look at Top 10 Lists and also voice your opinion at Polls Only.
Love Delicious Homemade Food? Check-out the “Homemade Gurus” at Homemade Pizza and Homemade Mexican food. They have delicious recipes.
Top 10 Maui Restaurants.
- Mama’s Fish House is one of the most well-known restaurants on Maui.
- In Lahaina Town, try Lahaina Grill. It’s one of the best restaurants on Maui.
- Merriman’s Hawaiian Restaurant in Kapalua has won many awards for outstanding food.
- The Pineapple Grill in Kapalua is a popular, upscale restaurant popular with locals and tourists alike.
- On the west side of Maui, try Star Noodle. It’s one of the most popular restaurants on the island.
- The Plantation House in Kapalua offers an excellent fine dining experience.
- Sarento’s On The Beach in the Kihei area of Maui is always recognized for outstanding food and service.
- Hali’ imaile General Store has pleased customers since opening in 1988 with its upcountry location.
- Japengo At The Maui Hyatt Regency Resort & Spa is a recent addition to the Top 10 Restaurants on Maui.
- Roy’s in Ka’anapali has consistently been one of the top restaurants on Maui, Hawaii.
Maui’s Top Attractions.
- Haleakala National Park lets you visit one of the most rare sights in the world at over 32,000 feet.
- The Road To Hana takes a full day but is one of the most famous drives in the world.
- One of the wettest and most beautiful valleys on all the Hawaiian islands is at Iao Valley.
- Visit 7 Sacred Pools (Ohe’o Gulch) past Hana on the far windward side of Maui.
- A “must-see” beach is Big Beach at Makena State Park on the southwest side of Maui, Hawaii.
- Lahaina Town & Banyan Tree on the west side of Maui is a historic whaling town with much to see.
- Stroll through gardens with over 45 varieties of lavender at the Ali’i Kula Lavender Farm.
- One of Maui’s top-rated family attractions in the Maui Ocean Center.
- Maui Tropical Plantation offers rides through a tropical plantation and has a fun zipline.
- The Sugar Museum is located on Hawaii’s largest working sugar factory.
- Tedeschi Winery produces wine from Maui-grown grapes at the Ulupalakua Ranch.
- Surfing Goat Dairy has world-class cheese made upcountry in a unique setting.
Maui’s Top Activities.
- See a unique perspective of Maui with a zipline adventure with Piiholo Ranch Adventures and Skyline Eco Adventures.
- See Molokini or the remote stretches of the Kanaio Coast with Red Line Rafting.
- Atlantis Submarines offers you the only underwater tour adventure on Maui that the whole family can enjoy.
- To rent snorkel equipment on Maui, go to Snorkel Bob’s or Boss Frog’s.
- Want to see another Hawaiian island? Go with Expeditions to the island of Lanai.
- There’s nothing like seeing Maui from a helicopter and Blue Hawaiian may be the best of Maui.
- Looking to jet ski? Jet Ski Maui is a seasonal activity but is a lot of fun even for beginners.
- Sunset dining on Maui gives you an unforgettable experience, and the Maui Princess is the boat to be on.
- Want to parasail while on Maui? UFO Parasail on Kaanapali Beach has been doing it longer than anyone.
- Bike down the Haleakala volcano for an amazing experience with Haleakala Bike Company.
- Trilogy offers one of the best excursions on Maui with several different daily tours.
- Enjoy The Road To Hana in a luxury vehicle with The Maui Touring Company.
- Go with the whale experts at Pacific Whale Foundation. They offer a wide variety of daily excursions.
- Wanting to go horseback riding on Maui? Go with Pony Express Tours for the best experience.
- Go sportfishing out of Lahaina Harbor with Start Me Up.
- Captain Steve’s Rafting Adventures is the top dolphin and whale tour company on Maui.
- Warren and Annabelle’s magic show is one of the best entertainment values on Maui.
- For the best luau on Maui, go to the Old Lahaina Luau in Lahaina Town on the west side of Maui.
BONUS – Free Hula Shows!
At The Lahaina Cannery Mall on the west side of Maui, there are free hula shows. The Polynesian Dancers perform at 7 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday. The Keiki Hula Show (children performing) is at 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
Maui’s Best Luau!
While visiting Maui or any of the islands of Hawaii. a luau is a must. Learn a few things about a luau before you go, and here’s a list of popular luaus to consider:
- One of the most popular and highly-rated luaus is the Old Lahaina Luau on the west side of Maui.
- The Feast At Lele is an oceanfront luau at 505 Front Street in Lahaina Town.
- The best family luau is the Kaanapali Beach Luau.
- Staying in Wailea? Consider the Wailea Marriott Luau and The Grand Wailea Luau.