If you’re going to ride MARTA at all, take it to or from the busiest airport in the world. The Airport MARTA station enters directly into the domestic terminal of the Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, providing an inexpensive and traffic-free way to travel. Whether you live in Atlanta or are visiting, see below for tips to make your commute easier.
MARTA to the Airport
- A few MARTA stations offer overnight parking, ranging from $5-$8/day, which is cheaper than airport parking (cheapest airport rates are $10/day). See airport parking vs. MARTA long-term parking to learn more.
- You can also take a car service such as Uber to your nearest MARTA station if you want to leave your car at home. Use promo code MARTAGuide to get $20 off your first Uber ride.
- Hang on to your Breeze Card (which you can purchase at vending machines at any train station for $2). You can reload it for future use.
- Try to place your luggage under your seat or in the designated luggage areas, which are usually at the ends of the train, and in some cases, in the middle. Look for the suitcase sticker or otherwise empty space not taken up by seats
- Allow enough time to get to the airport. From Five Points the commute time to the airport is 16 minutes, 26 minutes from Lindbergh, 43 from North Springs and about 40 minutes from Doraville. On the east/west line, it is 20 minutes from Indian Creek to Five Points, and 9 minutes from H.E. Holmes to Five Points. Build in extra time to transfer to a southbound train, then plan for a 16-minute ride to the airport.
- Check MARTA station schedules online or via the MARTA On the Go app to determine when to be at your starting rail station. The app also has real-time train arrivals. Arrive around 10 minutes early to the station to allow time to walk to the train platform with your luggage
- Only the southbound trains go to the airport. If you are traveling from the blue or green rail line, transfer at the Five Points station to the southbound train platform one level down.
- Immediately after exiting the fare gates at the Airport station, the Delta kiosks will be on the right. Exit to the left and through the sliding glass doors to reach the Southwest kiosks.
Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport to MARTA
- The Airport MARTA train station is located at the far end of the domestic terminal past all the baggage claims. You can use the north or south terminal.
- You can buy and reload a Breeze Card at the station using vending machines or you can speak to a representative at the RideStore during operating hours. In most cases you will select “trips” to add to your fare card, which are one-way fares. If you plan to ride MARTA multiple times a day, then choosing the “day” option lets you purchase day passes with unlimited rides.
- All trains departing the station go northbound and stop at Five Points, Peachtree Center, Civic Center, North Avenue, Midtown, Arts Center and Lindbergh Center (plus all stations between the airport and downtown Atlanta). If any of those stops are your destination, get on the train that is leaving first.
- Board a Doraville train if you are going to Lenox, Brookhaven, Chamblee or Doraville.
- Board a North Springs train if you are going to Buckhead, Medical Center, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs or North Springs.
- After 8:30 p.m., you can only get to Buckhead, Medical Center, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs and North Springs via the Lindbergh Center MARTA station. If you reach the Airport MARTA station after 8:30 p.m., get on the first train that departs the airport and travel to Lindbergh Center and transfer to a North Springs train there.
- Remember to place your luggage under your seat or in the designated luggage areas.
A special note for Atlanta visitors and tourists: You can easily get to hotels in Atlanta near MARTA on the train, which can save you money on a taxi or shuttle. Downtown, Midtown and Buckhead have the most hotels near MARTA stations.