The Gospel of Matthew in 10:3 refers to Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddeus. The Gospel of Mark in 3:18 mentions Thaddeus. The Gospel of Luke in 6:16 leaves Thaddeus off of the list of Apostles and replaces him with Judas the brother of James. Acts 1:13 also leaves Thaddeus off of the list and replaces him with Judas the brother of James. Many Biblical scholars believe that there is thus sufficient proof to conclude that Judas the brother of James was another name for Thaddeus.
Both Judas and Thaddeus appear in the readings of the legendary American mystic, Edgar Cayce. There is nothing in the readings to indicate that they were the same person and there is nothing in the readings to indicate that they were not the same person. I am in no position to declare that Judas the brother of James and Thaddeus are two different disciples so I will simply present below the information revealed in the readings.
19. Before that we find the entity was during that sojourn of the Prince of Peace in the earth, when men were called unto an activity in that land now known as the Promised Land, or Palestine; during those periods when there was the ministry in Galilee, even in the Holy City, even unto Tyre and Sidon. 20. The entity followed with the Master in those activities, in the name then Thaddeus, among those that were chosen as a light bearer to a people that had been shown a light as shining into the darkness of those periods. 21. Through that experience the entity gained, though oft was among those that were weighing well the material gains to be had; yet gaining throughout the sojourn, for it was among those who came under the sound of the Voice and heard, “Believe ye not for my words, for the very works’ sake believe ye!” [DS: See John 14:11.]
22. Then, from that experience in the present, those things whether of the mystic forces, the material world or of the spiritual import that come to the entity should ever be weighed well with – and bear the mark of – the judgment set by Him: “As ye do it unto the least of these, my brethren, ye do it unto me.” These ARE innately, manifestedly, the judgments of the body. Hold fast to that thou hast gained in this judgment – of the world, for the judge of this world cometh and there will be light again found in Him, and thou may be in that position as thou wert in that land – as a light, as a guide, to him that may be the messenger of the King coming to His own!
38. (Q) Were the experiences I have had in which I have seen spirit forms, real or imaginary? (A) Real. 39. (Q) Please advise me in regard to my psychic development. (A) As just given, study first to know self and that which motivates the purposes of self; for in this will there be found in self not only the abilities to make for those associations but to be guided by those influences from the higher realms of activity through which the entity has passed in its developments in the earth plane. And then be guided by that which will be shown thee, even as the pattern in the mount. Understand self and the motivating forces in the body-mind, in the physical body; for these are the shadow of the spiritual things that may be shown thee – and as thou seest by the study of those things that have been left as the compilation of the experiences of the sage, the prophet, the peoples of old, and most of all that as HE gave thee. For the promise to thee was, “I will come and abide with thee.” And in thine experiences of the psychic or soul forces throughout thine sojourn, be satisfied with nothing save that He would give thee; and may ye hear first of all, “Peace – I am with thee. Be not afraid, it is I.” And He will GUIDE thee; for His promises are to those that keep His ways. [Edgar Cayce Reading 361-4]
TEXT OF READING 295-8 F 30 (Secretary, Protestant) [DS: She was Mary Magdalene in Palestine.]
22. (Q) After the Master’s death and resurrection, please give a brief biographical sketch of the remaining years of the lives of Mary, Martha and Lazarus. How long did each live, and what did each accomplish? (A) It would require volumes to give in detail as to what each may have been considered to have accomplished, or that each did accomplish. … With the death and separation of the Master from the Disciples (as it may be called), the home of Mary and Martha became – for the time – rather the center from which most of the activities of the Disciples took place, who were of that activity; that is, who were not altogether Galileans, see?
Hence those associations that became the closest were with John, James, Matthew (Levi) [GD’s note: See Mat. 9:9, 10:3; Mark 2:14, 3:18; Luke 5:27,29, 6:15; Acts 1:13, indicating that Matthew and Levi are one and the same.] and Thaddeus. The others, of course, remained closer with the activities of the Galileans. [295-8]
7. Also there are the indications (and these are not given as omens) that the vision of Gethsemane brings to the entity an assurance that that no other vision is JUST the same in its experience.
23. As to the sojourns in the earth, – these, as indicated, are quite varied – if they are judged from the present material standard. Yet know that Life is One, and it is as much – and should be as much of thy thought as from WHENCE thy spirit came as to whither it goeth. For ye are today the result of that ye HAVE applied OF the Creative Spirit in thy relationships with thy fellow man. 24. For heavens and earth may pass, but His Word, His Promise endureth forever – and are ever the same in thy experience. 25. And it depends upon what ye do ABOUT same as to whether an experience becomes a growth, a retardment, a development, or as to whether the virtues applied become vices in some directions.
34. Before that we find the entity in those days when the Master walked in the earth. 35. The entity was a youth, and of Grecian parentage; coming under the ministry of Paul. And if there will be studied – alone – those epistles or letters written to the entity, as Titus, ye will find much of that admonition that at times becomes as living fires within the emotions of the inner self, and at others a rebellious force or not fully understood. 36. The entity knew of, rather than being closely associated with the Master; yet those disciples or Apostles who came through that portion of the land – Andrew, James, Thaddeus, Thomas – all of those were not merely acquaintances but associates of the entity during that early portion of its experience. [1842-1]
As we see from the readings, Thaddeus was active after the Crucifixion in the establishing of churches and the spreading of the messages of The Master.
Here is the information in the Edgar Cayce readings on Judas – not Iscariot
TEXT OF READING 540-4 F 32 (Housewife) [DS: In Palestine she was the sister of the Apostles James and John the Beloved.]
16. THESE, then, may give the CONDITIONS – of the activity in which the entity, Naomi, in its teen years, found itself; pulled between whether the holy activities of the Essenes or the dedicating of self to the faith of the fathers. 17. When there first began those activities among John’s [DS: John the Baptist] teachings, we find the entity then joined rather with those of the Essenes group. For John first taught that the women who CHOSE might dedicate their lives to a specific service. 18. Hence not only the brothers [DS: John and James] but those employed by the brothers (Peter, Andrew and Judas – not Iscariot) [DS: See John 14:22] joined in the activities. These were of the fisherfolk who aided in establishing the teachings in and among the people, that held to BOTH the old and the new environs. [540-4]
17. The entity served with those who aided in preparations following the crucifixion. Not known with the Holy Women but as a helper to the disciples and the Apostles. The entity was well acquainted with Judas, Thomas and with John the Beloved. For the entity was then among those who gathered, as it were, help from the experiences of these Apostles and Disciples as they administered with the Master. In the name then Duors. [5257-1]
© Doug Simpson 2015.
Edgar Cayce Readings © 1971, 1993-2009 by the Edgar Cayce Foundation. Used by Permission, All Rights Reserved.