The newly launched Ted Turner Expeditions announced today the offering of the Armendaris Bat Flight expedition to its unique ecotourism focused activities in New Mexico. Based out of the Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa in Truth or Consequences, Ted Turner Expeditions is granting public access to this previously private natural spectacle.
The five-hour Armendaris Bat Flight expedition takes guests on a two-hour exploration through the expansive 360,000-acre Armendaris Ranch before reaching the bat caves. Other wildlife sighting opportunities include bison, pronghorn, oryx, and various other animals native to the Chihuahuan desert. Expert guides help provide educational insight.
Additional Ted Turner Expeditions offerings in Truth or Consequences and at Armendaris and Ladder Ranches include:
Truth or Consequences:
- Historic District Walk – This 1.25-mile walk takes guests through historical downtown Truth or Consequences and features insight into the town’s name, as well as points of interest like the Geronimo Museum. Complimentary and available for guests of the Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa.
- Healing Waters Trail Morning Hike – A guided 3.25-mile morning hike that includes the historic downtown district, the Hot Springs District, and the Hamilton Military Museum, home to one of the original traveling Vietnam Memorial Walls. Complimentary and available for guests of the Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa.
- Fra Cristobal Summit Tour – A five-hour driving tour to the summit of the Fra Cristobal Range, with highlights including lofty views of Elephant Butte Reservoir and the Rio Grande corridor.
- Spellmeyer Canyon Tour – A five-hour hike in Spellmeyer Canyon, featuring marine fossils and rock scrambles.
- Animas Creek / Ranch Heritage Tour – A three- to five-hour expedition through the 156,439-acre ranch, whose highlights include Native American artifacts, ancient petroglyphs and turn-of-the-century ruins of an adobe home.
- Las Palomas North and South Loop Tour – A photographer’s dream, the five-hour trek features a tour of Palomas Creek, a pristine riparian habitat, and various wildlife encounters including bison, elk, deer, peccary (javelin) and other native animal species.
About Ted Turner Expeditions:
Covering more than 1.1 million acres of wild, private North American landscape, Ted Turner Expeditions not only provides guests with individually crafted nature and wildlife experiences but also with memorable stays in various Ted Turner-owned hotels, wilderness lodges and homes including Vermejo Park Ranch and Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa – with excursions at Armendaris Ranch, and Ladder Ranch. In the summer of 2015, Ted Turner’s private home at Ladder Ranch — to which only friends and family have previously been invited – was added to the inventory of guest experiences. Created by Ted Turner as a pioneering investment in balancing conservation and economic sustainability, Ted Turner Expeditions highlights extraordinary service and unrivaled amenities while showcasing Ted Turner’s ground-breaking conservation practices designed to restore habitats, conserve threatened and imperiled species, and increase biodiversity.