Tailgating season is officially upon us, which means it’s definitely time to fire up the grill and mix up some tempting cocktails to keep your pre-graming crowd more than pleased. While the excitement of the big game is more than enough to get true fans going, nothing keeps them coming back more than a first string food spread and a well-made cocktail, of course!
We all know what tailgating is, but what about the origins of this get-together? It’s believed that the first tailgate celebration occured around the start of the Civil War. Hoping to witness the first Battle of Bull Run, people traveled out from Washington DC to the areas around the battlefield and enjoyed a variety of food while cheering on their “team.” Another early example would be the “Chuckwagon” which originated in Texas in 1866. This was a ideal way to feed hungry travelers with the horse drawn carriage carrying not only the food but also a means to cooking it. With both examples, it’s easy to see that tailgating has been around for many years and will continue to be a tradition for many years to come.
This season make sure your tailgating parties are something to remember and a gathering that your friends, family and other die-hard fans will want to be a part of from now on, Take tailgating from a seasonal event to a lifestyle with a few awesome tips!
- Dress for your team! This one is a given, but be sure to be decked out in a team jersey, t-shirt, jacket, headband, or whatever clothing or accessory you can find. After all, you’re there to support your team so show it!
- Plan the menu. Plan and prepare food that is simple to make, eat and enjoy. There are tons of easy and delicious recipes available online. Also make sure you have a variety of food so that everyone is happy!
- Check-list! Keep a check-list of the items you will need while tailgating. Remember that a successful gathering takes more than just food and beverages. Paper products and other items such as a first aid kit, trashbags, water for washing hands, etc…will make a big difference in whether or not your guests enjoy themselves.
- Arrive early! Get there early to have everything ready and plan to stay at least an hour or two afterwards to clean up and pack up.
- Decorate your site. You want to stand out as the #1 fan, right? Make your site the one that everyone notices, with flags included! Plus, this will make it easier for your guests to find you in the crowd.
- Be friendly. Get to know your tailgate neighbors. You’re both rooting for the same team so why not interact? Throw a football around or invite them over for a drink.
- Leave your spot spotless! Don’t leave your leftovers, trash and other items there for someone else to clean.
Whether you prefer to treat your guests to a batched cocktail with “The First-Rounder” or put your bartending skills to the test with the “Play-Off Punch”, Hornitos Tequila has you set up for the win!
The First-Rounder (serves 4)
- 4 parts Hornitos Plata
- 4 – 12 oz Bottles Lager
- 2 parts Orange Juice
- 2 parts DeKuyper Triple Sec
Preparation: Fill pitcher with Orange Juice, DeKuyper Triple Sec, and Hornitos Plata. Slowly pour lager into a pitcher. Stir to mix. Fill pint glass halfway with ice and add The First Rounder.
- 1 part Hornitos Reposado Tequila
- 1/2 part Cranberry Juice
- 1/3 part Lime Juice
- 1/2 part Simple Syrup
- 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
- Lime Peel
Preparation: Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice. Shake vigorously and strain over fresh ice. Garnish with lime peel. Enjoy!