With its mixture of Christian and Arabic cultures, Spain has a colorful history that creates a land of fiestas, bullfights, beaches, historic cities, wines, natural beauty and tasty cuisine.
For the traveler the nation is 194,897 square miles and the capital is Madrid. The currency is the Euro.
Traveling through Spain you will see historic sites and get a glimpse of how things were when many peoples settled in the area including Celts, Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans, Visigoths, Moors, Muslims and Christians.
Following a civil war in the 1930s a dictatorship was established which later led to a constitutional monarchy.
Tourist will find Spain to be a nation of modern cities, coastal resorts and high-speed rails in addition to the historic sites and quaint little villages.
Among the top tourist attractions include:
• The Alhambra – This 14th -century palace/fortress is Spain’s most visited attraction and was built by the Moors of Granada.
• Toledo – Visitors will find many Moorish and Christian monuments in this former capital city.
• Balearic Islands – You will find plenty of fun in the sun and exciting nightlife at these islands that include Majorica, Menorica, Ibiza and formentera.
• Museo del Prado – This world famous museum in Madrid has one of the finest collections of 12th – 19th century art and sculpture.
• Cave of Altamira – This internationally known cave features Paleolithic paintings of animals and human hands.
In addition to those sites, Spain has 41 UNESCO World Heritage sites for tourists to visit, enjoy and learn.