Napa’s Meritage Resort and Spa is an oasis in the heart of California wine country not to be missed. Not only is the location top-notch but Meritage boasts the spectacular Spa Terra, one of the top 100 spas in the U.S. Distinctly positioned 40 feet underground, guests and patrons enjoy a deeply restorative and Earthy experience of rejuvenation. What else makes Spa Terra special? Read on in the following Q&A with Spa Manager Lori Giovani and Spa Examiner writer Rheba Estante.
RE: Spa Terra was listed in the Top 100 Spas in 2014. What special features of the spa were key elements as to why it made the list?
- The location – 40 feet under the ground in a cave, under a nine acre hillside vineyard, we are one of a kind in the USA
- Located in Napa Valley
- Our guests support on trusted websites like Spa Finder, Yelp, and TripAdvisor.
LG: What are some of the unique offerings offered by Spa Terra that are available nowhere else?
- You can be in a spa receiving a spa treatment while enjoying excellent wine from grapes that are sourced right above you
- Wine tasting room and spa all in one location – you never have to leave The Meritage Resort’s Estate Cave.
RE: How would you describe the spa philosophy of Spa Terra and how it is exemplified in the Spa Offerings?
- Spa Terra is in the heart of the earth. It is nurturing, calming, and serene. This is exemplified by one of our most requested services which we call “Vino Bello” body treatment. We cocoon you in a rich wine mud wrap full of antioxidants that refreshes and regenerates the skin, and finish it with a lovely cabernet grapeseed lotion.
- Keeping in sync with mother Earth, we also have our own signature Olive Leaf body care line that was specially formulated for Spa Terra
- Our steam grotto’s are very large and inviting allowing our guests privacy; they also offer a mist of pure Eucalyptus oil every so often which is great for sinus and bronchial problems
- How does a Terra Massage standout from a typical massage?
- The Terra is our signature massage, soothing, gentle and not pressure intensive. We use Napa Valley grapeseed oil. All of our massages include a warm foot wrap and our providers are all very skilled.
LG: What is the California Dreaming Spa Experience all about?
- This package is a room & spa packages that offers guests a $260 spa credit to apply to any service. It just not applicable towards retail products. Guests love it! There is a similar package and spa credit at each resort/spa in the Meritage Collection which has properties in Santa Barbara, Newport Beach, and La Jolla.
RE: Any particular specials that are new and exciting that clients can look forward to from Spa Terra?
Absolutely! We try our best to have a monthly special. The current one is our “Skinny Dip!” which is a grapefruit scrub, followed by a cactus citrus wrap to shrink cellulite, tighten and tone. Who doesn’t like that? For the face our Fifty-minute Collection Facial with the addition of a complimentary eye treatment to help diminish dark circles and puffiness from too many glasses of Napa Valley wine the night before. The location is the gateway to Napa valley.
On property you have your choice of activities ranging from Bocce ball, bowling, Wine tasting, great dining at Siena restraint and of course spa services “in a cave”. I cannot think of one other Napa Valley location that can compare to that. Should you decide to try another restaurant such as Italian, Japanese, Middle-Eastern or Spanish Tapa’s we offer a complimentary shuttle to the downtown area where all of these cuisines are available.
We also have a few treatments that use grapeseed oils that are all very popular, especially with our location in Napa Valley.
Meritage Facial (50 mins, $130)
A Napa spa favorite utilizing only grape seed extracts. Full of antioxidants and wonderful for aging skin. Cleaning and masking and grape seed extract serum restores balance and suppleness to most skin types.
o Body Treatment
Vino Bello (50 mins, $130)
This Napa Valley libation begins with a grape seed scrub followed by a mineral and antioxidant rich wine and rosehip mud wrap to refresh and regenerate the skin. End with a lavish application of grape seed lotion.
o Body Treatment/Packages
Solo Vino (100 mins, $260)
Our signature package, this body libation begins with an exfoliating Cabernet grape seed scrub, followed by an invigorating rinse and a decadent body wrap with wine cave mud. A Terra Massage ends this Napa favorite. Cheese tray and a glass of wine or bubbly included.