When the The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua Maui first opened your Spa Examiner was invited to evaluate it for the then general manager John Toner, the man responisble for lifting the luxury resort from the ground up and turning it into one of the island’s most successful properties. I had the whole enchilada for several days: facials to feet, massages, body wraps, scrubs—you name it. And even back then it was all good, excellent actually. First of all Hawaii attracts some of the most esoteric and talented therapists from around the world, many who mastered their crafts in the islands. Secondly the Ritz-Carlton Spa is a looker with all the necessary fitness and pampering props one needs.
The gorgeous hotel which hugs the beach at Maui’s sometimes tempestuous North Shore (the waves can really get rough) at the posh Kapalua Resort provides a bliss sanctuary in and out of the spa. But the spa itself is where one can escape completely surrendering to a menu of primal pampering especially between September and November of this year when they are introducing new wellness-related offerings and specials to that foster healthier living with a selection of“skinny”cocktails at The Banyan Tree and complimentary workout classes at the fitness center. There will also be environmentally-focused classes through the Jean-Michel Cousteau’s Ambassadors of the Environment program.
“Embracing the ancient Hawaiian history that surrounds us, these new offerings enhance the overall wellness experience that guests receive when staying at the resort,” says Clifford Nae’ole, The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua’s Cultural Advisor—who also provided a ‘blessing’ for my husband Richard and I during one of our many visits to the hotel. “Each guest can have a wellness experience tailored to their needs – whether enjoying a Skinny Cocktail or finding repose in ocean meditation – the wellness program offers something for everyone.” If you can make it to Maui in September the resort is hosting the 3rd annual Wellness Weekend “E Malama Kou Kino,” which translates to “care for your body” in the native Hawaiian language. The event will run from Friday, September 25, 2015 through Sunday, September 27, 2015 and will feature a variety of exciting health and wellness classes led by fitness experts, all complimentary to resort guests. Further details about the event will be released in August 2015.
The hotel also provided us with fall specials that run from Sept. 8 to Nov. 15, 2015: Herbal Spice Body Polish and Massage – A spicy aromatic herbal body polish will detoxify and soften your skin. Complemented by a 50-minute Lomilomi massage with herbal spice moisturizer to improve circulation, relieve muscle tension and encourage natural healing. 80 minutes, $225 per person.
- I yam what I yam: Yam and Pumpkin Facial – includes microcurrent technology that lifts, firms and contours your jawline, cheeks and eye area. Skin is soft, firm and glowing. 50 minutes, $185 per person.
- Sugar and spice and everything nice: Manicure and Massage to soften your skin using a light aroma of cinnamon and vanilla a rich moisturizer protects parched hands and feet. 80 minutes, $125 per person.
- Free fitness classes including Laughing Yoga, Kapalua Fitness Walk, Barefoot Body Sculpt, Maui Aqua Fit and more. (complimentary for overnight guests of The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua)
Jean-Michel Cousteau’s Ambassadors of the Environment programs for the eco-friendly
- E Ola Pono “Live Well” – Discover the many traditional medicinal uses found among the native trees, plants and herbs beginning in the medicinal gardens down to the Ambassadors Hale. Complimentary for resort guests. Fridays at 8am, reservations are required.
- ID ME! – Snorkel along Kapalua’s bays while naturalists guide you through a reef survey experiment. This unique snorkel also supports our ongoing efforts in identifying fish, Green Sea Turtles and monitoring our adopted coral head. Tuesdays, 9:30am-12:00pm, Adults $109.95 / Children $94.95
- E Ala E Maunalei-West Maui Sunrise – E Ala E (“Awaken”) the day in the pristine Maunalei Arboretum! Guided by naturalists, this beautiful hike to the Arboretum summit offers the rich reward of unparalleled views into the native Pu‘u Kukui Watershed, our protected and pristine water source. Wednesdays, 6:00am-8:30am, Adults $82.95 / Children $70.95
- C.S.I Water Investigation – Water pollution is a crime and Ambassadors have the important job of investigating the source through special water-testing techniques. We collect samples and analyze the final conclusions to help solve the case! Tuesdays, 1:30pm-4:30pm, $82.95 (children ages 5 – 15)
For more information or reservations at The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua call (800) 262-8440 or (808) 669-6200 or visit The Ritz-Carlton Web site.