Smart shoppers look forward to Saturday yard, garage and estate sales. Some plan their routes on Friday evening and are ready to leave home before sunrise to seek out the most enticing sales. Sales are found in almost every neighborhood in Columbia and can be veritable treasure troves for thrifty fashion shoppers. New and gently used apparel for adults and children can be purchased for amazingly low prices and many smart shoppers consistently come home with bags full of clothing, shoes and accessories. Some shoppers have become pros, purchasing designer and brand-name items both for their own use and for resale at local consignment stores and online resale sites.
For the best yard sale experience, plan to start early in the morning before selections are picked over. Carry cash, preferably small bills; most people cannot accept credit cards, and many are reluctant to take personal checks. If you’re going with a friend or family member, share the ride, since parking space is often limited. Always bring a tape measure to check waist sizes, sleeve and inseam lengths. Bring your own large totes or shopping bags, since they may not be available. If you’d like to sharpen your skills, watch the video for some tips on how to score big at yard sales. Some sales you may want to visit this Saturday include:
- A multi-family estate sale at 2116 Beaver Ln. in West Columbia from 8 a. m. until noon
- A yard sale at 28 Fairbranch Ct. off Harbison from 7:30 a.m. to noon
- A multi-family yard sale at Carriage Trace Ct. off Harbison from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- A storage unit sale at 1232 Calks Ferry Rd. in Lexington from 7 a.m. until noon
- A two-family yard sale at 404 Timbermill Dr. in Lexington from 7 a.m. until noon
- A rummage sale at Rehobeth Church at 6911 Two Notch Rd. from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m.
- A PBBC inside yard sale on Caroline Rd. off Leesburg Rd. from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- A yard sale at 400 N. Trenholm Rd. beginning at 6:30 a.m.
- An estate sale at 6353 Westshore Rd. from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m.
- A yard sale at 366 Tram Rd. from 8 a.m. to noon
The yard sale season has peaked and will continue to be active through fall. Listings will continue to appear in this column through the close of the South Carolina State Fair in October. Dress for hot summer weather and take along extra bottles of drinking water. Wear your most comfortable shoes and bring along sunglasses and a wide-brim hat for protection from the sun. Plan your route, enjoy the morning, and seek out the best possible deals.
As always, maximize your style and minimize your spending~