The Santa Cruz Mountains’ most celebrated cabernet event: Premier Cruz, A Mountain Cabernet Experience will showcase 2005 vintages from Bordeaux, Santa Cruz Mountains and Napa Valley. Hosted by the Santa Cruz Mountains Winegrowers Association (SCMWA), Premier Cruz will take place on Sunday, November 8, from 9:30 to 2:30 PM at The Mountain Winery, Saratoga, CA.
The event will feature a three part technical tasting sessions. The first session starts with a presentation by Wine Historian Charles Sullivan about the history of Mountain Cabernet Winemaking in California. This is followed by a session on Regional Identity covering Cabernet appreciation and a vintage Cabernet tasting from Santa Cruz Mountains. The third part features a wrap up with a discussion on Proper Cellaring techniques.
Vintners of Santa Cruz Mountains have been producing award-winning Cabernets since the mid 1800’s. Monte Bello Cabernet from Ridge Vineyards won the Judgment in Paris tasting in 1976.
List of participating wineries include: Bottle Jack Winery, Burrell School Vineyards, Byington Vineyard and Winery, Clos Tita Winery, Cooper-Garrod Estate Vineyards, Domaine Eden, House Family Winery, Kathryn Kennedy, La Rusticana de’Orsa, Left Bend, Lexington, McCarthy Family Estates Vineyard, Mount Eden Vineyards, Ridge Vineyards, Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyard, Silver Mountain Vineyards and Woodside Vineyards.
Panelists for this year’s event include:
- Charles L. Sullivan is the premier wine historian of the Santa Cruz Mountains. He has published a number of books on California wine, grapes and history. He will cover the history of winemaking in the Santa Cruz Mountains with an emphasis on cabernet.
- Eric Entrikin is a Master Sommelier and adjunct instructor for the International Culinary Center. Entrikin’s discussion will focus on the effects of aging wine, proper cellar conditions, basic service techniques and decanting.
- Mozy Tehrani of Exclusive Imports of Beverly Hills began working in the wine industry in 1979 and is one of the foremost experts in the French wine industry.
- Jim Rollston is a Sommelier and the Beverage Director at Manresa Restaurant located in Los Gatos, CA. Rollston has nearly 20 years of experience in the wine and hospitality industry, including roles at the former Cyrus Restaurant in Healdsburg, Baumé in Palo Alto and the three restaurants of The Lodge at Pebble Beach. In addition to the wine program, Rollston oversees the beverage team, lending his expertise to beer, cocktails, spirits and more in pairing with Chef Kinch’s cuisine.
- Wilfred Wong, Chief Storyteller of wine.com. Wong has been in the business for four decades, and tastes roughly 8,000 wines a year. He’s also become popular on social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook.
Premier Cruz – A Mountain Cabernet Experience
The Mountain Winery, Saratoga, CA.
9:30am to 2:30pm
Technical Session: 9:30am-12:00pm, $45
Technical Session and Tasting: 12:00pm-2:30pm, $65
- To learn more and purchase tickets check the Santa Cruz Mountains Winegrowers Association website.