When it comes to summertime and fashion one thing is certain, less is more. It’s an easy equation as the temperature gauge increases, fewer clothes go on . . . especially in New Orleans. With the average summer day temperature well above ninety degrees, you’re lucky to put clothes on at all.
The other day while picking up an ice coffee my eye caught the attention of a young woman that took this equation too far. Picture this – a bright yellow bandeau top one or two sizes too small. Paired with itty-bitty lace trim shorts also one size too small. Add flip-flops that are only appropriate for the beach or shower to the equation and you have a major fashion offense staring you in the face. If I were the fashion police I would issue her a citation for violation of penal dress code SFD_2015 (Summer Fashion Disaster 2015). The reality is that summer is not an excuse to strip down to the bare essentials and letting it all hang out. While it is tempting to succumb to the heat of a New Orleans summer and forgo the fashion rules, there are plenty of ways to keep cool, be stylish and fashionable without looking like a “fashion don’t”!
One of my favorite trends this summer is the clever way sheer, see-through and peek-a-boo styles are infused into this season’s fashions. An unexpected flash of skin under a sheer fabric can be sultry and eye catching without being overexposed. However it does require a little more thoughtfulness to pull off this style without becoming a fashion don’t.
Here are easy, effortless, and sheer genius tip to help you pull off this trend:
- Balance is key. If you’re wearing a sheer top balance it with a more modest bottom.
- Don’t overdo. Keep styling and accessories to a minimal. Take all details into consideration from hair to makeup to jewelry.
- Be mindful of the color palette. Neutral, muted, and monochromatic tones give a luxe vibe.
- Remember to choose undergarments thoughtfully. Some styles are designed for sexy and sultry appeal of exposed undergarments. Subtle and streamline is best. Commando is a no-no!
- If feeling a little gun shy about the whole sheer trend. A lace top with cami under, mesh plunging neckline, or sheer sleeves are great starting points to introduce sheer styles into your wardrobe.
- Keep your style appropriate for time of day and event. What works well at the club will probably get you a ticket from the fashion police if worn to the office or a wedding.
- What looks good on the runway or on celebrities doesn’t necessary work in real life. Modify the look don’t copy.
- Embellishment on sheer creates visual interest, texture and gives the illusion of greater coverage.
- Don’t show all your assets. Leave something to the imagination. Remember less is more.
View the slideshow to see some of my favorite sheer fashions that showed at New Orleans Fashion Week 2015.
Enjoyed this article?
Click on the subscribe link for the latest blogs on fashion, trends, beauty, chic events happening in the Gulf Coast Region!
Got a fashion story, event or would like a review of your fashions, accessories or beauty product? Contact me!
Email – email@example.com
Twitter – @fashionweeknola
Instagram – @fashioinablyyoursnola