Now that it is halfway to the holidays, even the novice baker is considering the multitude of cookies, cakes and treats on the horizon. Cooking and baking are two totally different concepts. Baking requires measurement, practice and patience. From the perfect oven temperature to the exact tablespoon of butter, a perfectly baked cookie, pie or cake is somewhat a science. With the holiday hustle and bustle, the novice baker doesn’t want to present a plate full of hockey puck cookies to the cookie exchange.
Entenmann’s and Sara Lee understand the baking dilemma. To help both the novice baker and families who lack time, semi-homemade treats are the perfect solution. By using a few store bough ingredients, even the baker who sets off the fire alarm can make a delicious dessert.
During the holiday season, chocolate is a popular treat. While tempering chocolate is a difficult task, Entenmann’s Dreamy Chocolate Bars are a delicious chocolate dessert that even the kids can help create. The base of this decadent dessert is the classic Entenmann’s Rich Frosted Donut. Drenched in rich, smooth chocolate, the Entenmann’s donut is a perfect cake base for this dessert. Combining this donut with flaked coconut, caramel popcorn and a few other ingredients, the resulting bar is a treat that you might crave all year round. From the annual cookie exchange to a hostess gift, no one will ever have to know that you didn’t bake all the ingredients from scratch.
Entenmann’s Dreamy Chocolate Bars
- 1 ½ cups of Entenmann’s crumbled Rich Chocolate Donuts ( 4 to 6 donuts)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped caramel popcorn
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- ¼ cup firmly packed, brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup hot fudge ice cream topping
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 ¼ cups dark chocolate chips
- ¾ cups semisweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup cashew pieces
- ½ coarsely chopped caramel popcorn
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly grease 13x9x2 baking dish
- For the crust, in a large bowl, combine Entenmann’s Rich Frosted Donuts, popcorn, egg and butter
- Press into greased pan and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the edges are browned
- Remove from the oven
- For the topping, in a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar egg and hot fudge topping until blended. Fold in the remaining ingredients and pour the mixture over the crust.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the edges are browned and the center is almost set
- Cool on a wire rack before cutting into squares.
- If you prefer a seasonal twist, another variety of Entenmann’s donut can be substituted in this recipe.
For people who prefer to avoid the oven entirely, Sara Lee has created another heavenly chocolate dessert. This jar dessert requires no baking at all. Even if your household doesn’t have a mason jar, a regular glass (preferably a tall glass) can work well to layer the ingredients. The best part about this dessert is that no one has to share. No one at a party wants just the lonely, leftover corner of a dessert after everyone has indulged in the yummy, gooey middle. These individual jar desserts ensure that everyone get their perfect bite.
Sara Lee Brownie Chocolate Chip Jar
- 4 – Sara Lee Snacks Brownie Chocolate Chip Cakes
- 3 cups of frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 cups of prepared chocolate pudding
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup hot fudge
- Cut each Sara Less Snack Brownie Chocolate Chip Cake into 6 pieces
- Place hot fudge in the microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 15 seconds or until softened, stirring as needed.
- To assemble, spoon ¼ cup of whipped topping into each of the four glasses or jars. Add 3 of the Brownie Chocolate Chip Cakes on top of the whipped topping. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the hot fudge on top of the brownies. Spoon ¼ cup of the chocolate pudding on top of the hot fudge. Repeat another layer of whipped topping, brownie chocolate chip cake, hot fudge and pudding.
- Finsih with 1 tablespoon of whipped topping, 1 teaspoon of chocolate chips and drizzle 1 teaspoon of hot fudge on top.
- Serve immediately.
While kids may prefer an ice cold glass of milk with these desserts, adults may prefer a cup of coffee. Entenmann’s single serve coffee selections are the perfect complement to these desserts. Working with the finest coffee growers around the world, selecting only 100% Arabica beans and roasting them into small batches ensures consistent quality coffee with every roast. Packaged immediately after roasting to lock in freshness, Entenmann’s coffee cups, available in classic and dessert flavors, are great for Holiday entertaining and were created to be the perfect complement to Entenmann’s baked foods or savored on their own any time of day.
These semi-homemade treats from Entenmann’s and Sara Lee are the perfect solution to anyone’s holiday baking dilemma. Savor the holidays with family and friends. No one has to know that your delicious sweet treats took less effort that wrapping that white elephant gift.