Dorsey Sawicki of Tampa, Kenneth Yucka of Orlando and A.J. Bateman of Sebring are two-event leaders after the first of three weekends of competition in the Florida State Bowling Association’s Men’s Championship Tournament at Dunedin Lanes in Dunedin.
According to the current, unofficial leaderboard, Sawicki has the scores to beat in two events in the 200-over average division. He leads singles with a handicap score of 803, and his 2,390 pinfall leads nine-game all-events. In addition, he paired with Gerald Turner for the runner-up spot in 400-over doubles with 1,562.
Yucka is No. 1 in 175-200 singles with 861, and he also tops 175-200 scratch all-events with 1,920, and he’s third in 175-200 handicap all-events with 2,283. Bateman is first in 175-200 handicap all-events with 2,421, and he’s a member of the 750-under team from Sebring called The Gamblers, which leads the four-player event with 3,047.
Joining Bateman on The Gamblers were Dennis Raczkowski, Nic Watson and Ted Watson, while members of the High Flush team from Naples that leads the 750-over division with 3,064 are Ron Rickner, Aaron Wheeler, James Cox and William Morgan.
Leading doubles in the various classifications are: Pat Liska and Louis Blair of Tampa, 1,446 in 350-under; Andres Buitrago and Donald Black of Orlando, 1,586 in 351-400; and Chris Ziegler and Tim Willner of St. Petersburg, 1,595 in 400-over.
Other tournament leaders are: Terry Roedell of Orlando (2,194 in 200-over scratch all-events); Curtis Hatton of Brooksville (766 in 174-under singles); and James Ray of Pembroke Pines (2,175 in 174-under handicap all-events).
Though he doesn’t set the pace in any event, Christopher McCrory of Sarasota is the runner-up in four categories. He’s second in 175-200 singles (859) and all-events (2,410), No. 2 in 350-under doubles with Amado Mendez (1,397), and he’s a member — along with Mendez, Antonio Trinidad and Phillip Williams — of the second-place Cortez Clam Factory 750-under team.
Ben Wing of Tampa fired the only opening-weekend perfect game, while Scott Jensen of Orlando had the top scratch series of 815 on scores of 299, 279 and 237. Benjie Estor of Orlando posted an 803 series on games of 267, 289 and 247.
The top three in each of the event categories, plus Sarasota-Manatee County entrants listed among the Top 10:
- TEAM EVENT (averages of 750-under): 1, Gamblers (Orange Belt) 3,047; 2, Cortez Clam Factory (Sarasota) 2,979; 3, Go With The Flow (East Pasco) 2,886.
- TEAM EVENT (750-up): 1, High Flush (Southwest Florida) 3,064; 2, Bartow Ford (Bartow) 3,016; 3, It Is What It Is! (Miami) 2,990.
- DOUBLES (350-under): 1, Pat Liska and Louis Blair (Tampa) 1,446; 2, Amado Mendez and Christopher McCrory (Sarasota) 1,397; 3, Charles Teague and Roy Shy Jr. (Palm Beach) 1,374.
- DOUBLES (351-400): 1, Andres Buitrago and Donald Black (Orlando) 1,586; 2, Keith Sullivan and Davin Goodrich (Orlando) 1,524; 3, Eugene Vest and Jim Griffith (Lakeland) 1,523.
- DOUBLES (400-over): 1, Chris Ziegler and Tim Willner (St. Petersburg) 1,595; 2, Dorsey Sawicki and Gerald Turner (Tampa) 1,562; 3, James Strickland and Gary Hiatt (Tampa) 1,488.
- SINGLES (174-under): 1, Curtis Hatton (Brooksville); 2, James Ray (Pembroke Pines) 764; 3, Amado Mendez (Sarasota) 746.
- SINGLES (175-200): 1, Kenneth Yucka (Orlando) 861; 2, Christopher McCrory (Sarasota) 859; 3, A.J. Bateman (Orange Belt) 830.
- SINGLES (200-over): 1, Dorsey Sawicki (Tampa) 803; 2, Timothy Ross (Palm Bay) 796; 3, Joshua Austin (Palm Bay) 794.
- ALL-EVENTS (174-under): 1, James Ray (Pembroke Pines) 2,175; 2, Dennis Wasisto (Tallahassee) 2,147; 3, Amado Mendez (Sarasota) 2,119; 8, Phillip Williams (Sarasota) 1,929.
- ALL-EVENTS (175-200): 1, A.J. Bateman (Orange Belt) 2,421; 2, Christopher McCrory (Sarasota) 2,410; 3, Kenneth Yucka (Orlando) 2,283; 5, Antonio Trinidad (Sarasota) 2,279.
- ALL-EVENTS (200-over): 1, Dorsey Sawicki (Tampa) 2,390; 2, Dave Burney Jr. (Tampa) 2,346; 3, Chris Ziegler (St. Petersburg) 2,327.
- ALL-EVENTS SCRATCH (175-200): 1, Kenneth Yucka (Orlando) 1,920; 2, Robert Moore (Orlando) 1,843; 3, Charles Mills (Ocala) 1,838.
- ALL-EVENTS SCRATCH (200-over): 1, Terry Roedell (Orlando) 2,194; 2, Gerald Turner (Tampa) 2,114; 3, Scott Jensen (Orlando) 2,104.
To view a listing of the unofficial Top 10 listings in each tournament event after Week 1, click here.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald’s bowling columns — free of charge — by clicking on “Subscribe To Author” near the bottom of the article, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published.]