Salamander Hotels & Resorts, the luxury hotel management company founded by Sheila C. Johnson, has unveiled its new Salamander Golf Collection, featuring what it calls a “Perfect 10” lineup. I can’t argue.
With Signature Designs by Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Tom Watson and Larry Packard, Salamander’s 180 holes span the states of Virginia and Florida, where the company is the state’s largest independent golf course operator (www.salamanderhotels.com).
“This is of the finest collections of courses in the country, but we have also taken care to create opportunities for golfers of all skill levels to just ‘get out and play all 10,’” said Johnson, Salamander’s Founder and CEO, and an executive committee member of the United States Golf Association, where she has helped lead efforts to increase participation in the game.
In Virginia, Salamander recently added an exclusive new golf experience for guests at its Salamander Resort & Spa in Middleburg, enabling them to play the nearby private Creighton Farms Golf Club, designed by Nicklaus.
In the golf-centric Sunshine State, the Collection includes Innisbrook Resort in Tampa Bay, where Jordan Spieth’s magical year began this past March with a win at the Valspar Championship. In November, Innisbrook’s highly acclaimed Copperhead Course, a PGA Tour site over two decades, will re-open after a six-month restorative enhancement.
The “Perfect 10” also features Reunion Resort in Orlando (Palmer, Watson and Nicklaus), and Hammock Beach Resort in Palm Coast (Ocean and Conservatory). A fourth Salamander Florida resort, Henderson Beach Resort in Destin, is scheduled to open in summer 2016 with several golf packages for its guests.
Here’s a closer look:
Salamander Resort & Spa, Middleburg, VA
• What’s New? Since it opened nearly two years ago, Salamander Resort & Spa has been acclaimed as one of the country’s finest resorts. Now, it has added a golf package with the acclaimed Creighton Farms Golf Club, a Nicklaus Signature Design, which is less than a 15-minute drive away.
• What’s the Offer? The Salamander Signature Golf Package begins with a round at Creighton Farms. Relax for the evening in luxurious accommodations before playing a second round at another acclaimed local course. Packages begin at $265 per person, per night, based on double occupancy and exclusive of taxes and resort fee. It is available Sunday-Thursday and has a two-night-minimum stay.
Innisbrook Resort, Tampa Bay, FL
• What’s New? Innisbrook’s famed Copperhead Course will have new grasses and new drainage when it opens in November. The Copperhead is considered Packard’s master work and long as been one of the Florida’s top golf courses.
• What’s the Offer? Innisbrook has three other golf courses designed by Packard: Island, North and South. Through 10/07/15, the resort is offering its Classic Golf Package with rates starting at $99. Rates are per person, per night, weekdays, based on double occupancy, and exclusive of taxes and resort fee. Stay must be consumed by 10/31/15.
Reunion Resort, Orlando
• What’s New? The only resort in the world with Signature Designs by Nicklaus, Watson and Palmer, and home to the only ANNIKA Academy by World Golf Hall of Famer Annika Sorenstam, Reunion is involved in several new initiatives, including Foot Golf (played on the Watson Course), and the World’s Largest Golf Outing this past Aug. 3 that benefitted the Wounded Warrior Project (Palmer Course). Work has also begun on a new clubhouse at the Nicklaus Course.
• What’s the Offer? Reunion’s Just Golf Package features unlimited golf and breakfast in the resort’s clubhouse each morning. Rates start at $201 per person, per night, based on quad occupancy in a three-bedroom villa, and exclusive of taxes and resort fee. Travel dates are 09/04/15 to 12/20/15.
Hammock Beach Resort, Palm Coast, FL
• What’s New? Hammock Beach, located between Daytona Beach and St. Augustine, features two outstanding golf courses. The Conservatory Course by Watson was recently renovated to install Paspalum Platinum grass on the greens and has one of the best back nines in the Southeast; the Ocean Course by Nicklaus features six holes that play directly along the Atlantic Ocean and likely will be the last course ever built on the Atlantic in Florida.
• What’s the Offer? Hammock Beach’s Just Golf Package features golf on arrival and departure days, unlimited golf on all other days, and grab-and-go breakfast each morning. Rates start at $214 per person, per night, and based on quad occupancy in a three-bedroom villa. Travel dates are 09/04/15 to 12/20/15.