Cerwin-Vega! is an OG in the speaker industry with over 50 years of experience producing high quality speakers. Their products never cease to live up to their motto, “The LOUD Speaker Company,” even in their new smaller powered XD Series.
If you’re looking to get the party started with exceptional sounding music, bringing more boom to your gaming or playing tunes from your computer or home entertainment system, the XD series has got you covered on all fronts.
When setting out to create the powered XD Series, Cerwin-Vega! the engineers wanted to deliver optimal sound reproduction from a selection of compact systems and enclosures that fit neatly in any desktop situation. In the tradition of Cerwin-Vega!, products key design goals included optimized frequency response, overall clarity, low distortion and decent bass performance, a Cerwin-Vega! trademark.
The complete XD Series line includes a range of four models with 3”, 4”, 5”, full range systems and an 8” Subwoofer. Each full range is matched with low distortion and high output amplifiers and soft-dome tweeters for optimal performance. For those looking for even more deep bass extension, the XD8s active subwoofer will take any system to a new level of bass performance. And unlike typical desktop systems, the Cerwin-Vega! XD Series is built with Solid MDF wood enclosures.
As mentioned above, these desktop speakers ensure versatility, fully integrating with any of your equipment or desktop configuration. All XD products have the capability of handling several input options from both front and rear inputs. A convenient front panel headphone jack also provides output for private monitoring when you need to “keep it down.”
- The lowdown on the XD5 Speakers –
The XD5 speakers were great on their own and a superb choice for those looking for an affordable, yet better-than-most desktop option. The XD5 speakers are larger than most computer speakers, so if you’re looking to go smaller, the XD4 and XD3 will be your best bet.
In the back of the left XD5 speaker is where you will find all the main electronics with analog inputs including standard unbalanced (RCA) and balanced (1/4″) jacks. A cable connects to the right speaker for powering the left speaker. Each XD5 speaker has a 50W STMicroelectronics TDA7265 class AB dual (25W + 25W) audio power amplifier chip to drive the sub and tweeter.
These amplifier modules are specially designed for high quality sound and feature built-in thermal and short circuit protection. The active crossover and independent amplifiers in the XD5 allow each woofer and tweeter to be driven with its own amplifier for optimal audio performance. Added bonus — the ‘Bass Boost’ switch which further enhances the bass projection of these rad speakers.
- The 411 on the XD8s Subwoofer –
The XD8s subwoofer takes the other satellite speakers to the next level by extending the low-frequency bass with minimal turbulence for maximum performance. The slim cabinet design fits easily under desks, just make sure to have the front driver and the left side with the metal mesh grill face an open area for the best sound and bass quality.
In addition to the standard audio input and outputs, a volume knob, versatile crossover and polarity switch can be found at the rear of the sub for aligning its audio to any desktop monitors.
There’s also a handy outlet for XD8s Remote Control, which allows for easy volume control of the entire system.
Bottom line: the XD5 and XD8s pair exquisitely with classic black sleek lines and sound made in groove heaven.
- Configuration – Stereo 2-Way Speaker Pair with Built-in Amplifier
- High-Frequency Driver – 1” Soft-dome
- Low-Frequency Driver – 5”
- Frequency Response – 60Hz – 21kHz
- Power Output – 50 Watts
- Porting – Custom Tuned Rear Porting
- Connections – 1/8” Aux Input (front) RCA (rear) – Balanced ¼” TRS (rear)
- Magnetic Shielding – Yes
- Accessories – 1/8” stereo to RCA cable Speaker Cable
- Dimensions – (H x W x D) 10.24” x 7.28” x 9.45”(260mm x185mm x 240mm)
- Weight – 17.4 lbs. (7.9kg)
- Configuration – Subwoofer with Built-in Amplifier
- Drivers – 8”
- Frequency Response – 35Hz – 255Hz
- Frequency Range – 32Hz – 390Hz
- Amplifier Power – 80 W RMS
- Porting – Custom Tuned Front Porting
- Controls – Selectable Crossover (80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, Bypass) Rotary Volume Control
- Switchable Polarity 0°-180° – Connections – RCA INPUT & OUTPUT, Balanced ¼” TRS INPUT/OUTPUT
- Accessories – RCA Connection Cable included
- Product Dimensions (H x W x D) – 21.75” x 18.11” x 19.29” (460mm x 240mm x 490mm)
For more info on Cerwin-Vega! and their booming speakers, visit www.cerwinvega.com.