Red Diamond winery in Washington has evolved from a maker of solid value, well made wine from Washington State grapes into a label of wines made from Washington and globally sourced grapes. Fortunately for us Red Diamond’s tradition of well made wine that is accessible to many tastes and budgets continues and that tradition is on display in their Red Diamond Temperamental Red Blend. The Temperamental is squarely founded on the Tempranillo grape which makes up 90% of the blend with three other grapes providing flavor accents to even out the palate making up the remaining 10%. Those with a basic knowledge of wine will recognize that the Tempranillo grape has long been favorably associated with the Rioja DOC in Spain and produces a number of food friendly wines and many that are a wonderful experience on their own too.
When viewed through sunlight this purplish colored wine has a pretty light brick red color at edge. The nose is a full if not overflowing bouquet of mixed dark berries and cocoa which seems monolithic at first, though a little time spent sorting out the different scents is time well spent as they slowly unfold like peeling back the layers of an onion, albeit with a much more pleasurable result. The flavor is a bit less subtle though no less full in substance; notes of cherry and blueberry bookend the core of blackberry fruit ending with a touch of wood from the oak aging that has smoothed out the tannins that along with the easy going acidity leaves one wanting more. The sensation in the mouth is smooth and velvety which makes this a great option for entertaining when you need a wine that people with all levels of experience will enjoy.
The Red Diamond Temperamental Red Blend can be found all around town at different times, I found it at ABC Fine Wine and Spirits a little while ago along with several other Red Diamond wines at a “featured” price below $10, it is also available at Total Wine and More for great price of $9 I would suggest at even a couple of dollars more it is a sound buy for the money. Bottom line, while this is clearly a Tempranillo wine the small additions of three other grapes provides some depth and highlights that make the whole package come together and provides a satisfying choice on its own or with a meal. Try it and see, though to really appreciate what is in this bottle it is best to sip and savor, not gulp. Another suggestion for those who like to plan ahead would be to consider buying a bottle or two of Red Diamond Temperamental Red Blend for Valentine Day, prime rib, backed potato and dark chocolate and this wine, oh yeah!