Contrary to popular opinion, even though you have diabetes, you can eat delicious foods and enjoy meals with family and friends without feeling “left out of the good stuff.” In fact, controlling one’s diabetes is about sensible eating, portion control and exercising daily because foods are no longer considered good, bad or forbidden.
To assist you in making good choices, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) provides the following nutritional standards and guidelines for people with diabetes as well as for the general population. The reason these are also noted for the general population, also, is to help reduce the number of people who are eventually diagnosed with diabetes.
According to the USDA, you should:
- Eat a variety of foods
- Choose a diet low in cholesterol, fat and saturated fat
- Choose a diet moderate in salt and sodium
- Choose a diet moderate in sugars
- Choose a diet with plenty of fruit, grain products and vegetables
- If you drink alcoholic beverages, drink in moderation
This recipe for company macaroni and cheese is a dressed up version of macaroni and cheese, and, as its title implies, is great for company. It, and other diabetic-friendly recipes can be found in by Barbara Grunes with Linda R. Yoakam, R.D., M.S.
- 3 cups uncooked macaroni (12 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat margarine
- ½ cup minced onion
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- ¾ cup reduced-fat mozzarella, or Cheddar, cheese
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons unflavored breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, omitting salt. Drain and set aside.
- Heat margarine in fry pan over medium heat.
- Cook onions in margarine for a few minutes or until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk in flour.
- Pour in ½ cup of the milk and continue whisking until smooth.
- Add remaining milk and cook a few minutes, whisking until sauce thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat and whisk in cheese, green pepper and mustard.
- Put drained macaroni in a 2-quart casserole.
- Stir in cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until hot.
Makes 8 (1 cup) servings