The 2015 Ram ProMaster City van comes in two configurations – the City with front seats only and strictly for efficient cargo handling applications – and the ProMaster City Wagon which is equipped with a second row of seating that gives it additional utility as a people hauler. The second-row seating facilitates comfortable hauling of up to five passengers without compromising any of the (still) substantial cargo handling capability remaining behind the second row – suggesting a range of possibilities for cost effective and flexible integration of personal with business use.
As we spent a recent week driving a new 2015 ProMaster City Wagon SLT around town, we were surprised at how many times people talked to us about using it for business and service applications that needed the second row of seating. Particularly situations that require frequently variable combinations of people and cargo to be transported efficiently and economically in an urban environment.
It was suggested, by some we encountered, that the ProMaster City Wagon might be a cost effective choice for those working full or part time in emerging urban people hauling enterprises like Uber. Which got us to thinking about why not own a ProMaster City Wagon for both personal as well as business use. And why not an Uber-like enterprise.
ProMaster City Wagon Urban Factors
Some of the features that make the ProMaster City Wagon a perfect fit for integrated personal and business hauling of people and cargo include:
- Front wheel drive 2.4L Tigershark I4 engine delivering best-in-class 178 horsepower and 174 lb.-ft. of torque.
- Segment exclusive 9-speed automatic transmission purpose-tuned for an urban utility van.
- Fuel economy of 21/29 mpg City/Highway with 24 mpg average.
- Range nearly 400 miles with 16-gallon fuel tank.
- Seating up to five with people/cargo payload of 1,883 pounds.
- Second-Row 60/40 split-seating with fold and tumble to adjust cargo length long objects
- Low cargo/luggage load height in the rear of 21.5-inches and even lower passenger side step-in height of 18.8-inches.
- Sliding side doors on both sides with 26-inch wide openings for easy entry/exit.
- Rear cargo doors configured 60/40 street to side walk side opening for loading safety and convenience.
- Large cargo space behind second that carries luggage four and more with easy access
- Roof rack with adjustable cross rails to handle over-size baggage.
Urban Driving Impressions
We like how the ProMaster drives both around town and on the highway – and yes we took a couple of trips to the airport, downtown and back just for fun. Some of our relevant observations include:
- The 9-speed automatic transmission is purpose- tuned tightly through the first three gears for quick and responsive acceleration in city driving.
- The 2.4L Tigershark engine also had plenty of power for responsive acceleration and maneuvering in heavy highway traffic.
- Front seat compartment is spacious and comfortable with all controls easily in reach.
- Premium Cloth Bucket seating of the SLT is very comfortable.
- Black toned interior is easy to clean and keep clean.
- Lots of convenient storage in front seat area including overhead above windshield
- Quietness of the cabin was remarkable both in city traffic and out on the highway
- Loaded or unloaded, it delivers a very smooth ride – a result of the unique rear suspension configuration
- Steering is tight and responsive allowing easy navigation of tight spaces
- Good driver command seating with excellent lines of sight for safe driving
Overall, we think the ProMaster City Wagon offers both business and personal users a flexible, capable, efficient and cost effective urban-setting vehicle for taking the kids to school and picking up the groceries or operating a business enterprise (like Uber driver) as well.
Wagon vs Wagon SLT
The ProMaster City Wagon comes in two versions, the Wagon (MSRP $24,130) and the Wagon SLT (MSRP $25,655). In addition to the standard features found on the cargo versions, both have 60/40 split second-row seating with each section capable of folding and tumbling forward to expand cargo room. With the seats in place, the ProMaster City passenger wagon offers close to four feet of cargo length to the rear doors. With rear seats folded and tumbled, the City Wagon provides nearly six feet of cargo length. There are four tie-down rings, a full length headliner and carpet on the floor (instead of load deck). For a cleaner, more passenger friendly look, panel moldings cover the rear of cargo area, up, over and around the wheel wells and additional storage trays at seated shoulder level incorporate an available retractable cover to keep cargo out of view.
The ProMaster City Wagon SLT adds Body Color Bumpers front and rear, Glass in the Rear Hinged Doors, Power Adjustable Heated Folding Side Mirrors, 16-inch Steel Wheels with full Wheel Covers, Premium Coth Bucket Seats with Manual Adjustable Height and Lumbar, Speed Control, Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel, Deep Tint Side Glass, and the Uconnect 5.0 AM/FM with 5-inch Touchscreen Display.
Our nicely equipped ProMaster City Wagon SLT test van added Second-Row Power Windows, Heated Front Seats and Upgraded (6) Audio Speaker system for $495. A Rear Window Wiper and Defroster was $250 with the ParkView Rear Back-up Camera and ParkSense Rear Park Assist adding another $495.
With freight and handling of $995, our 2015 ProMaster City Wagon SLT priced at $27,890.
For optimal use as a people hauler (like an Uber driver) we would have added the Roof Cargo Management Group package of roof rails and adjustable cross bars for $455 to provide additional carry capacity on the roof. The GPS Navigation ($495), add to the Uconnect 5.0 system, would aide in timely picking up and delivering of people (and packages). Expecting to spend some time behind the wheel, the SiriusXM Satellite Radio for $195 would be a good choice for both driver and passengers. Lastly, the of Fog Lamps (plus aluminum instead of steel wheels) for another $495 would aide in night and inclement weather driving.
Such a well- equipped ProMaster City Wagon SLT would cost just under $30,000. And, though ours was in Bright White, there are other colors available including Bright Red, Black Metallic, Silver Metallic, Deep Red Metallic, Blue Night Metallic, Broom Yellow and Quartz Gray Metallic.