Cherika Nichelle Ruffin is a faithful disciple of New Canaan Worship Center in Richmond, Virginia where the pastors are Rev. Louis R. Blakey, Jr. and Rev. Lois Blakey-Paige. The pastor-emeritus is Rev. Louis R. Blakey, Sr. who founded the church 41 years ago.
The 39-year-old Richmond native has belonged to New Canaan since childhood after being baptized at eight years old. Her activities include singing in the choir, working with the Children and Youth Ministry, and helping with projects for the Praise Priests. She is on the Finance Committee and part of the 2015 Church Anniversary Committee.
Cherika’s daughter, Ava Virginia McAllister, is a 10-year-old fourth grader who sings with CLAY (Canaan Land Anointed Youth) and dances with the Praise Priests. Cherika has other relatives who worship with her. Tawanda “Tee” Minor is her sister who also sings in the choir. Their mother, Glenda Bennett, attends New Canaan as well as Cherika’s aunt, Shonette Thompson.
Cherika graduated Summa Cum Laude with a BA degree in Mass Communication from Shaw University in 1998. She graduated Magna Cum Laude with an MA degree in Communications from Purdue University in 2001. She is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. and Public Relations Society of America.
The Central Virginia region is in good hands when it comes to mass transportation because Cherika is the program manager at RideFinders, a division of GRTC Transit System. She was promoted to that position in 2006 from being a project coordinator. She has been employed at RideFinders for 11 years where she encourages carpooling, vanpooling, riding the bus, riding a bike, walking and teleworking to commuters throughout the Central Virginia region.
Cherika’s background in communication comes in handy because her marketing activities include social media platforms, website, mobile app, and communications. She is responsible for writing scripts, awards submissions, customer and community relations.
Here are some fun facts about Cherika:
- She interned at C-SPAN one summer when she was an undergraduate at Shaw University.
- She taught an undergraduate public speaking course while at Purdue.
- Cherika’s hobbies include reading, listening to music, and being creative.
- Her favorite colors are pink, green, and black.
- Cherika takes selfies. In fact, she took most of the photos attached to this profile.
- Cherika’s favorite scripture is 2 Timothy 1:7, “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”