[EDITOR’S NOTE: Even before the final, official prize list is posted, atombash.com has a report on the leaders at the conclusion of the Florida State Bowling Association’s Open tournament.]
Micheal Preston of Gainesville and Jere Goff II of Palm Coast emerged as two-event winners in the 81st annual Florida State Bowling Association Open Championship Tournament in Gainesville, according to the final, official prize list posted on Tuesday (Aug. 18).
With the help of the tournament’s high scratch series, an 804, Preston posted the top scratch all-events score of 2,246 (a 249.5 average), and he and partner Presley Gissendanner finished first in scratch doubles with 1,499.
Goff claimed the handicap singles champion with a score of 862, and he also posted the winning handicap all-events score with 2,530.
Shaun Goucher of St. Petersburg won scratch singles with 789, while the runner-up spot went to Mike Kaczka of Key Largo with 784. Kaczka was also No. 2 behind Preston in scratch all-events with 2,229.
In addition to Preston’s 804, the only other 800-plus series during the 11-weekend tourney was rolled by Vernon Peterson of Winter Haven, who rolled an 803 with the help of a perfect game for the Lodge Lanes team, which easily captured the No. 1 position in the five-player scratch standings with 3,638 while finishing just one pin short of the handicap team title.
Lodge Lanes, from the Orlando area — consisting of Peterson (803), Shawn Naumann (799), Scott Newell (705), John Janawicz (702) and Jon Trzcinski (629) — won the scratch team event by a 201-pin margin over an East Pasco team called Snake Bitten, which finished runner-up at 3,437. All but Trzcinski were members of the Lodge Lanes 2 team that finished in the runner-up spot, just 10 pins off the winning score of 3,502, in last year’s FSBA tourney.
The team handicap title went to five ladies from the Kissimmee area named Just Look @ The Flowers. Consisting of Alyssa Sutterfield, Rebecca Mehdari, Kathryn Duvall, Nancy Vella and Crystal Johnson, they edged Lodge Lanes by the narrowest of margins, 3,663 to 3,662.
With a score of 1,585, the handicap doubles title was captured by Handy Rawls and Anthony Mann of Palm Beach, while the Gissendanner-Preston duo was next in line with 1,582..
Joining Peterson in the perfect game department were: Matt Gilman of Pembroke Pines (2, team and doubles), Jason Couch of Clermont (team), Bobby Walters Jr. of Sunrise (doubles), Joey Colon of Miami (doubles) and Sean Riccardi of St. Petersburg (team).
Here are the final, official top three in each of the eight event classifications, plus Sarasota-Manatee-Charlotte County bowlers in the Top 50:
- TEAM HANDICAP: 1, Just Look @ The Flowers (Kissimmee) 3,663, $5,000; 3, Lodge Lanes (Orlando) 3,662, $3,000; 3, We Eat That (Gainesville) 3,653, $2,406; 12, Tony 1 (Bradenton) 3,603; 14, C&L Awards (Sarasota) 3,583; 39, Dream Team (Bradenton) 3,502. Low to cash: 3,435.
- TEAM SCRATCH: 1, Lodge Lanes (Orlando) 3,638, $1,500; 2, Snake Bitten (East Pasco) 3,437, $1,000; 3, Flying Circus IV (Seminole County) 3,408, $892. Low to cash: 3,179.
- DOUBLES HANDICAP: 1, Handy Rawls and Anthony Mann (Palm Beach) 1,585, $2,000; 2, Presley Gissendanner and Micheal Preston (Gainesville) 1,582, $1,300; 3, John Roppa and Sam Costa Sr. (Palm Beach) 1,581, #1,186; 12, Sandra Dickerman and Dan Dickerman (Bradenton) 1,528. Low to cash: 1,400.
- DOUBLES SCRATCH: 1, Presley Gissendanner and Micheal Preston (Gainesville) 1,499, $1,000; 2, Kevin Stewart (Cape Coral) and Matt Gilman (Pembroke Pines) 1,440, $650; 3, Bobby Walters Sr. and Bobby Walters Jr. (Sunrise) 1,439, $577; 42, Roger King and John Thompson (Sarasota) 1,317. Low to cash: 1,305.
- SINGLES HANDICAP: 1, Jere Goff II (Palm Coast) 862, $1,000; 2, Denny Lutjens (Tampa) 845, $650; 3, Kevin Reichenbach (Sarasota) 844, $632; 6, Tyler Lackey (Port Charlotte) 837; 6, Dustin Ferrell (Sarasota) 830; 8, Nick Wagner (Bradenton) 825; 13, Jim Ord (Sarasota) 815; 16, Chuck Souzer (Sarasota) 804. Low to cash: 660.
- SINGLES SCRATCH: 1, Shaun Goucher (St. Petersburg) 789, $1,000; 2, Mike Kaczka (Key Largo) 784, $650, 3, Kevin Reichenbach (Sarasota) 769, $548; 9, Mike Aleshire (Port Charlotte) 728; 22, Nick Wagner (Bradenton) 704. Low to cash: 660.
- ALL-EVENTS HANDICAP: 1, Jere Goff II (Palm Coast) 2,530, $1,000 2, Arthur Fulbright (Gainesville) 2,354, $850; 3, Paul Shields (Jacksonville) 2,349, $692; 19, Tyler Lackey (Port Charlotte) 2,280. Low to cash: 2,129.
- ALL-EVENTS SCRATCH: 1, Micheal Preston (Gainesville) 2,246, $800; 2, Mike Kaczka (Key Largo) 2,229, $500; tie 3, Shaun Goucher (St. Petersburg) and Michael Herring (Altamonte Springs) 2,183, $263.60 each; 5, Mike Aleshire (Port Charlotte) 2,172. Low to cash: 1,943.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald’s atombash.com bowling columns — free of charge — by clicking on “Subscribe To Author” near the bottom of the article, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published.]