British Glam Rockers The Darkness raged Saint Andrews Hall in Detroit on Wednesday night. Their incredible performance was highly entertaining, full of rock, heavy riffs, high falsettos, thrills and chills! Opening the show was a sweet rock duo from Denver, Colorado called In The Whale. This duo was really good and they deserve props for hyping up the Detroit crowd with their pep talk and music.
The Darkness is touring in support of their fourth studio album released earlier this summer, entitled Last Of Our Kind. The Darkness appeared on stage at 9pm and the fun lasted for over two hours. If you haven’t seen these guys live before, it is one show to be witnessed. There are so many reasons why The Darkness is so bad ass. So, here are twelve reasons why you should go see The Darkness perform.
1. The incredible front man: Justin Hawkins is the ultimate entertainer, noted for his High Tenor singing voice and on-stage persona. Besides singing, he also plays guitar, keyboards and the keytar! This man is highly influenced by the legendary 70’s classic hard rock and heavy metal bands Queen, Aerosmith, and AC/DC. If you dig Justin’s voice, be sure to check out his other bands, Hot Leg and British Whale. Justin is also very sexy and has the mojo. He is tall and tattooed. He is always taking his clothes off and running around shirtless. Justin loves the audience and the crowd. This guy is chatting with the fans one moment and then crowd surfing the next. Justin is always climbing things and jumping off things, doing handstands or high kicks. Luckily, his die hard fans in Detroit, caught him as he jumped belly first from the balcony above! Justin also did some shredding on the guitar while sitting on some strongman’s shoulders, as that guy walked around the crowd. Justin was later swimming across the crowd. The guy is always doing something outrageous.
2. The Live Show: Yes, The Darkness are renowned for their live show. These guys have won numerous awards over the last 15 years for their showmanship, including The Showman Award by Classic Rock Magazine Roll of Honour. If you want a fun rock show, this is one band to witness! The band looks like they stepped out of a time machine, straight out of the 70’s. Their energy is high and their smiles are infectious. Be prepared to laugh out loud and have a huge grin on your face the entire night.
3. The tight Band: These guys are good musicians. Not only do they sound great but also look great. Everyone in the band is a showman. The guitarist Dan Hawkins is dynamite and does these epic guitar poses as he plays. It was no surprise to learn that Dan is the brother of Justin. I guess the mad talent runs in the family. Bassist Frankie Poullain plays effortlessly and looks so cool doing it.
4. The new Drummer: This spring the band recruited a new drummer. Rufus Taylor, the son of Queen drummer Roger Taylor, joined the band. Taylor is also the touring drummer for the Queen + Adam Lambert stage show. This guy was born with drum sticks in his hand and is really good! What a perfect fit for this band.
5. Comedy: You want to come to a show to rock out and laugh hard? This band is 100% fun on stage. Justin Hawkins is a comedian too and funny as hell. He is such a talker and likes to tell short stories and jokes between songs. He is always talking about his dreams and ideas.
6. The Fashion: These guys got more style than most bands out there. You couldn’t miss these guys walking down the street. Hawkins fashion is always superb. He is known to rock vintage inspired bell bottom one piece suits (think Elvis) that are lavish and sexy tight. The entire band dresses like total Rock Gods. They even won the Elle Magazine Style Award for Most Stylish Band. At the Detroit show, Justin wore a vintage baby blue three piece bell bottom suit with no shirt. It was…… priceless.
7. The amazing hype Audience: Audience participation is at an all time high when you see this band. It’s not just when your in Detroit, but in every city they play! This band has a special Rock n Roll magic spell that they cast on the crowd, creating an evening of suspense and excitement that will leave you with saying “Wow. These guys ROCK! I want to go see them again”.
8. The sexy Voice: It’s probably that English accent. But when these guys speak or sing, the people listen and react! What lady doesn’t like a sexy accent anyways? And that unique high tenor voice is really cool too. When you hear them play, you know immediately who it is. It’s The Darkness.
9. The songs: They have epic songs and fantastic catchy lyrics.The Darkness won the Ivor Novello Award for Songwriters of the Year with that first album! With inspiring song titles like, “I Believe in a Thing Called Love”, with it’s dreamy lyrics “I wanna kiss you every minute, every hour, every day!” No wonder it made a connection with fans. Then there’s “Get Your Hands off My Woman” which has became a huge sing-a-long among fans and has even been covered by musician Ben Folds. There was a lot of sing-a-longs and hand clapping at this show.
10 The four Studio Albums: The Darkness has four albums out, all very worthy of owning. Of course everyone’s favorite was their first release in 2003, entitled Permission to Land. This album went triple platinum in Europe, winning numerous awards with Kerrang! for Best Album, Best Live Act, Best British Band, and 2 Metal Hammer ‘Golden God’ Awards. It has already become a cult rock classic. Their new release is getting rave reviews just as their debut and went immediately went number one on the UK Rock Charts.
11. The Venues: Here in America, The Darkness isn’t so big. They come around about once a year and play in small venues. In Europe and back home in the UK, they play huge Arenas and Festivals. European fans would love to see The Darkness play a small intimate venue like Saint Andrews Hall in Detroit. It’s quite a unique special little theater with a capacity of 1000. It was the perfect place to see them play in Detroit!
12. The Suspense: This is a show where you will not want to leave early to beat the traffic. You won’t even want to go to the bathroom. You won’t want to step away, because you want to see what will happen next. There is so much awe and wonder and excitement watching this band live. The Detroit show at Saint Andrews Hall was epic and hands down one of the most entertaining shows this year.
Check out the tour dates and get their new music here:
The Darkness setlist at Saint Andrews Hall, Detroit, Mich 10.21.2015
GROWING ON ME
ONE WAY TICKET
LOVE IS ONLY A FEELING
FRIDAY NIGHT (Justin on Keyboards)
ENGLISH COUNTRY GARDEN (Justin on Keyboards)
RACK OF GLAM
GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY WOMAN
STUCK IN A RUT
I BELIEVE IN A THING CALLED LOVE
LOVE ON THE ROCKS