Yesterday, Michelle Goldberg published an article in The Nation asking if Hillary Clinton can “win over the Left.” In the video above, the Sane Progressive, Debbie Lusignan, addresses a number of reasons why progressives will not get on board with the Wall Street-backed “presumptive nominee” for the Democratic Party. Lusignan mentions what distinguishes neo-liberals from progressives, i.e., the Trans-Pacific Partnership. Goldberg neglected to mention Secretary Clinton’s long-time support for this un-American, international, corporate-rigged regulatory regime in her lengthy essay.
There are many reasons why progressives cannot support Secretary Clinton. Some of them were mentioned in the Goldberg piece, and these are prominent among them:
- Secretary Clinton would not give a yes or no answer as to whether she would support the KXL pipeline. She told a questioner asking about it, “If it’s undecided when I become president, I will answer your question.”
- Clinton, like her husband and the President, is having her path to the White House paved with $100 bills provided by Wall Street bankers. K Street business lobbyists are also funding her campaign. As Lawrence Lessig argues in Republic, Lost, these are gifts with an expectation of something in return. While Lessig sees no hypocrisy in Clinton for taking super PAC support, it certainly raises questions as to whether President Clinton would represent the people or, like her husband and the current President, the American-based transnational corporations attempting to impose corporate rule on the United States.
- The United States needs a political revolution. That is not coming from a neo-liberal like Secretary Clinton. She is part of the establishment.
- As Secretary of State, Clinton spoke in favor of the Trans-Pacific Partnership 45 times. Now she is waffling and claiming that she wants to see what is in the final agreement before she will take a position on this international, corporate coup des lois. Clinton supported the un-Constitutional fast-track legislation that no progressive in the nation supported. Fast-track, Trade Promotion Authority, treats complex treaties like ordinary bills except Congress will not be able to amend these treaties to protect workers, the climate, etc. Goldberg neglected to mention fast-track or the TPP in her article, and for progressives, the core of the American left, this is a stopper.
Senator Sanders’ opposition to the Trans-Pacific Partnership is solid but shallow. He points out that this treaty would allow American transnational corporations to outsource American’s jobs to Vietnam and Malaysia, and both countries employ slave labor. The TPP, however, is far worse than that. 78% of Americans know little or nothing about the Trans-Pacific Partnership. The TPP:
- Will be an international, corporate coup des lois, an imposition of chapter after chapter of rules and regulations imposed upon the national and local legislatures of Pacific rim countries. The TPP would invert bottom-up,democratic order into top-down, corporate order.
- The TPP, like NAFTA, includes an Investor State Dispute Settlement chapter. These establish corporate-oriented, supra-national tribunals that represent a form of Mafia justice. They function like a protection racket.
- The TPP will make climate change worse.
- The TPP is not a “free trade agreement.” Members of the administration of Barack Obama, including the President, are lying about this proposed regime.
- If passed as published by Wikileaks, poor people will die from curable diseases because life-saving prescriptions will be priced beyond what they can afford.
While the TPP is still under negotiation, Secretary Clinton will be able to continue avoiding taking a position on this regulatory treaty. Given that Clinton lied recently about her involvement in building support for the TPP as Secretary of State, it is a safe bet to make: when she does take a position on this un-American treaty, she will not be honest at that time either.
Secretary Clinton is so repugnant to progressives, over 6,000 people have taken a pledge to write-in Bernie Sanders in the general election next year. She and Michelle Goldberg are deluded if they believe that progressives will function like sheep and back a neo-liberal for the White House. For 6,000 people and counting, it’s Bernie Sanders or else!