Team USA wrestlers won nine of 13 matches against Cuba at “Salsa in the Square” in New York City’s Times Square, with a number of past NCAA college mat champs – along with 2015 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships finalist Kyle Snyder – coming out on top at the international wrestling event Thursday night.
“Salsa in the Square” featured top wrestlers from Team USA taking on the Cuban National Team in a dual-meet format, in men’s and women’s freestyle and men’s Greco-Roman competition. Proceeds from the event benefit youth wrestling organization Beat the Streets. It was the sixth international-flavored wrestling event held in a New York City landmark location in as many years, according to Associated Press.
In men’s freestyle competition, US college mat stars won all but two of their matches vs. Cuba. Among the former NCAA champs who came out on top at the event included Jordan Burroughs (two-time national champ for University of Nebraska) and David Taylor (twice a champ for Penn State), both at 74 kilos/163 pounds; Brent Metcalf (University of Iowa two-time titlist) at 65 kilos/143 pounds; and Tervel Dlagnev, twice an NCAA Division II titlewinner for University of Nebraska-Kearney, at 125 kilos/275 pounds. In addition, Snyder, who capped off his freshman year at Ohio State by making it to the 197-pound finals at the 2015 NCAAs, shut out his Cuban opponent in their match at 97 kilos/213 pounds.
In a special exhibition challenge match featuring two active college wrestling titleholders, two-time NCAA Division I champ Alex Dieringer of Oklahoma State earned a 9-0 win over Joey Davis, three-time NCAA Div. II titlewinner for Notre Dame College of Ohio.
In women’s freestyle competition, Team USA won three of four matches, with Randi Miller, Clarissa Chun, and Helen Maroulis scoring decisive, technical-fall shut-out victories over their rivals from Cuba. In Greco-Roman, the US went 1-1, with Andy Bisek getting the win.
Salsa in the Square USA vs. Cuba – Final Results
- 69 kilos/152 pounds: Randi Miller (USA) tech fall Yudari Sanchez Rodriguez (Cuba), 11-0
- 60 kilos/132 pounds: Yekelin Stornell Elastigue (Cuba) tech fall Rosemary Flores (USA), 11-0
- 48 kilos/105.5 pounds: Clarissa Chun (USA) dec. Yusneylis Guzman Lopez (Cuba), 8-2
- 55 kilos/121 pounds: Helen Maroulis (USA) tech fall Yamilka del Valle Alvarez (Cuba), 10-0
Special Challenge Match
- NCAA Div. I champion Alex Dieringer (Oklahoma State) dec. NCAA Div. II champion Joey Davis (Notre Dame College), 9-0
- 75 kilos/165 pounds: Andy Bisek (USA) dec. Yurisandi Hernandez Rios (Cuba), 4-1
- 59 kilos/130 pounds: Maykel Anache Lamout (Cuba) dec. Spenser Mango (USA), 6-5
- 125 kilos/275 pounds: Tervel Dlagnev (USA) tech fall Andres Ramos Dinza (Cuba), 11-0
- 57 kilos/125.5 pounds: Yowlys Bonne Rodriguez (Cuba) tech fall Tony Ramos (USA), 14-1
- 97 kilos/213 pounds: Kyle Snyder (USA) dec. Javier Cortina Lacerra (Cuba), 4-0
- 65 kilos/143 pounds: Brent Metcalf (USA) dec. Franklin Maren Castillo (Cuba), 8-5
- 74 kilos/163 pounds: David Taylor (USA) tech fall Livan Lopez Azcuy (Cuba), 18-7
- 86 kilos/189 pounds: Reineris Salas Perez (Cuba) dec. Jake Herbert (USA), 8-4
- 74 kilos/163 pounds: Jordan Burroughs (USA) pinned Luis Esteban Quintana Martinez (Cuba), 4:50