The Brooklyn Nets made two roster moves on August 10. ESPN New York reports that the Nets officially waived forward Earl Clark and signed point guard Donald Sloan.
With Sloan now on board, Brooklyn has four point guards under contract along with Jarrett Jack, Shane Larkin and Ryan Boatright. Boatright’s deal is nonguaranteed. Sloan is expected to compete with Boatright for the third point guard spot behind Jack, who willl likely start, and Larkin.
Sloan appeared in 53 games last year with Indiana and averaged 7.4 points, 3.6 assists and 2.7 rebounds with the Indiana Pacers.
The following is more happenings in the NBA.
- Philadelphia 76ers 2014 No. 1 selection Joel Embiid should have surgery to repair his navicular bone to his right foot on soon according to CSN Philly. In other Sixers news rookie Richard Holmes is expected to be fully recovered after fracturing his elbow on July 10 when training camp rolls around.
- Miami Heat power forward Josh McRoberts is expected to be ready when the team opens training camp. McRoberts, who appeared in just 17 games, missed most of last season with toe an knee injury. He recently spoke to the Indianapolis Star about his progress: I’ve played too long to be 100 percent, but I’m getting pretty close. I’ve had a great summer here rehabbing with St. Vincent and think I’ll be ready to go. I can’t wait for the season to get going. I’m just trying to rehab and get back here for the start of camp. I’m excited to get back on the court and do what I love to do.”
- Minnesota Timberwolves head coach and president Flip Saunders is being treated for Hodgkin lymphoma, which his doctors consider “very treatable and curable.” Saunders will remain in both his of his roles with the team while undergoing treatment.
- Elton Brand announced his retirement on August 11. The 36-year old appeared in 36 gamesfor the Atlanta Hawks last year. He has also played for Chicago, Los Angeles Clippers, Philadelphia and Dallas.
- Guard Toney Douglas officially signed with the Indiana Pacers on Tuesday.
- Zoran Dragic has been released by the Boston Celtics. He is expected to return to Europe this upcoming season.
- The Denver Nuggets, who have 15 players with guaranteed contracts, is expected to waive Kostas Papanikolaou and Erik Green.
- Markieff Morris is totally unhappy in Phoenix and will likely have to be moved before the season