Natural Beauty Expert and creator of Subtle Green Skincare, Chitra Desikan, has some invaluable tips when it comes to glowing skin. If you are looking to enhance your skin’s physical appearance in a safe and natural way, Chitra’s got you covered!
Chitra belivies that skincare is part of a healthy lifestyle that includes:
- A healthy diet – what you put in your body reflects on your skin
- Physical activity – fun activities, whatever helps you move and sweat
- Wellness – whatever takes you to a Zen place, be it meditation or otherwise
- What you put ON your skin, that’s where Subtle Green Skincare comes into play!
Here are Chitra’s expert tips on how to obtain that natural glow:
- Lemon Juice- Lemon juice applied topically can diminish age spots and scars. The citric acid in lemon acts like a gentle peel, resurfacing and toning skin. It doesn’t stop there. While lemons are acidic, mixing lemon and water makes it one of the most alkaline foods available to boost your lymphatic system, boost energy and promote digestion. Apply it: Squeeze juice of ½- ¼ lemon and smooth over face with a cotton pad. Leave for 15 minutes and wash off. Can be a morning ritual or even applied before shower and then washed off in the shower. Or drink it: Squeeze ½ lemon in warm mineral water and drink on an empty stomach every morning for a wonderful body and skin cleanse. – Aids digestion, purifies blood and boosts your immune system. You might even notice improved skin tone.
- Probiotics – They’re are just as good for your face as they are for your gut. Probiotics shield your face from acne causing bacteria. So use probiotic yogurt when possible. Eat it as well J as probiotics reduce skin inflammation that can lead to allergic reactions and acne.
- Sleep- Beauty sleep is not a myth! When we sleep, we cycle through stages of sleep (1 through 4 and cycle back). Its only in stages 3 and 4 that our body releases growth hormones that repairs tissue and regenerates on a cellular level. Sleeping also improves blood circulation and helps your body regenerate from the inside out, so you wake up looking healthy. Lack of sleep can show on your skin – sallow complexion, dull, flaky skin and those dark under eye circles. Source: the sleep doctor (Dr. Michael Breus). The following tips are not from him but are proven grandma remedies (backed by science today)
- Stress reduction- No surprise here. Stress wreaks havoc on skin. In today’s world we are continuously overstimulated between daily activities and all forms of media; enough to make the Zen amongst us feel like they’re experiencing ADD. And this isn’t good for your body. It disrupts your hormonal balance, ultimately showing on your skin. So find ways to restore balance and make time for wellness activities
- Breathing exercises– Breathing exercises reduce stress and also help bring in fresh oxygen to the body and the skin cells. Stress reducing breathing exercise: Count your breath – Inhale for count of 4, hold for count of 2, exhale for count of 4, hold for 2. If your mind wanders, acknowledge the thought and let it go.
And above all — be patient with yourself and with your skin!
For more information on Chitra and her all-natural skincare line Subtle Green visit www.subtlegreen.com.