August 10th is National S’mores day and several Florida restaurants are celebrating this delicacy with special events. It is hard to beat the delicious taste of graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows freshely melted over an open flame and we have a few recommendations where you can get just that:
- Sandpearl Resort, Clearwater, FL: If you’re willing to make the drive from Jacksonville to Clearwater, you will be rewarded with an excellent beach scene. Clearwater Beach can be experienced at the Sandpearl Resort, located at 500 Mandalay Avenue in Clearwater. This is a AAA Four-Diamond resort and features Clearwater Beach’s only AAA Four-Diamond restaurant: Caretta on the Gulf. One thing Sandpearl is known for is their beachside s’mores, which are served up nightly. For National S’mores Day, Sandpearl created a Campfire Martini to accompany your s’mores. The martini consists of Godiva, Nutella, Frangelico, Svedka, Vodka, Creme de Cocoa and mini marshmallows. There is also the “I Want S’more” dessert available, which three time the chocolate, along with graham crackers, pecans, sesame, and expresso marshmallows. We are planning a visit to Sandpearl in the near future, so we are planning to post a more in-depth review later this year.
- Red, the Steakhouse, Miami, FL: Red has three total locations: 2 in Cleveland, OH and 1 in Miami, FL. Specialties include lobster mac and cheese and kobe beef. What we are interested in for the purposes of this article is the PB&B S’mores Bar. This dessert consists of peanut butter mousse, chocolate ganache, caramel gelato, toasted banana marshmallows, and a salted caramel topping.
- The Resort at Longboat Key Club, Sarasota, FL: Another AAA Four-Diamond resort, The Resort at Longboat Key Club is situated on 410 acres and offers waterfront views of the Gulf, eight restaurants/lounges, and 45 holes of golf. Regarding s’mores, the resort has a marina-view fire pit that serves handcrafted cocktails and toasted desserts like grilled pineapple. Private bonfires area also available on the beach complete with bowls of marshmallows, tiki torches, and couches.
The regular lobster season in Florida official starts on August 6th and many Florida restaurants are featuring great lobster-related events:
- Sandpearl Resort, Clearwater Beach, FL: Caretta on the Gulf is featuring a specialty sushi roll called the Surf and Turf Roll, which consists of lobster, asparagus, beef tenderloin, truffle, and enoki.
- The Hotel Zamora, St. Pete Beach, FL: This is a small hotel offering “Mediterranean Boutique Luxury”. The hotel has been in business for over 20 years and its flagship restaurant is Castile. Castile focuses on seafood tapas with a Spanish twist. For lobster season, Castile is offering Lobster Fries, which are served with smokey-sweet bruleed orange and Florida citrus remoulade.
- Red, The Steakhouse, Miami Beach, FL: Surf and Turf is offered here featuring their dry-aged Tomahawk ribeye served with a Maine Lobster, which are typically caught within 48 hours of being served.
- Jupiter Beach Resort & Spa, Jupiter, FL: Offering 168 guest rooms and suites, beachside dining, and family-oriented activities like basketball, tennis, movie nights, and sea turtle walks. Guests can lobster at The Sandbar restaurant by trying the New England Lobster Roll. This is a Main Lobster sandwich on a toasted brioche roll.
For more from Jacksonville Fine Dining Examiner, follow us on Twitter @JaxFineDining