In honor of National Men’s Grooming Day today, let’s take a fun and informative look at some stats on men’s grooming habits, bathroom routines, purchasing decisions and ego from Harris Poll and Dollar Shave Club (the men’s razor and grooming subscription brand). And remember ladies, while this may be a special day about guy’s and their grooming — let’s take a look and learn more about our better half and what they’re thinking…after all, most women do influence men’s grooming purchasing decisions!
Here are the top ten favorite insights and fun facts on men’s grooming below:
MALE HABITS & INSIGHTS
- Eight minutes is the average time a man spends on the toilet going No. 2
- 46% of men use their phone to either email, text, use apps or play games while going No. 2 on the toilet
- Only 25% of men are concerned with aging
- If men could look any age, they would look 31-years-old
- 76% of men believe they are somewhat or very attractive
- Men who shave once a day are nearly 40% more likely to be happy
- Men spend on average $27 a month on grooming products
- On average, men spend $13.20 on a haircut
- Men who live on the West Coast are 25% more likely to consider themselves metrosexual
- 65% of men say it’s not okay to share a toothbrush with a significant other
MEN’S GROOMING CATEGORY NEWS
- The category of skincare products for men registered the highest growth in the skincare category in 2014 (Klein)
- Both millennials and baby boomers have driven the increase in sales of the men’s skincare category (Klein)
- Men’s skincare has grown in double digits over the last few years (2009-2014), but remains a niche category (just 3% of total skin care) with incredible potential (Euromonitor)
- If men’s skincare reached just 10% of the women’s market, it’s value would more than triple to reach US $10B (Euromonitor)
And let’s celebrate this day where men get extra clean, shave, and smell great with these got-to-get grooming picks:
THE PERFECT SHAVE…
Dollar Shave Club
A subscription-based company that sends high quality razors and men’s grooming products to your door for a few bucks a month. It all started by figuring out what people actually wanted: a great shave without the overpriced expense and inconvenience of trudging to the store. CEO and Founder, Michael Dubin, came up with the idea in his Venice Beach home that was as simple as it was revolutionary: a club that delivered razors right to you. When Dubin released a YouTube video in March 2012 introducing his company he had no idea the replenish-able razor blades were going to be such a big hit. The goofy video went viral, orders poured in (12,000 in the first two days) and the company’s website, DollarShaveClub.com, crashed in the first hour. In addition to razors, now you can customize each box and add on products from an entire line of original grooming, skincare and hair care essentials – like Dr. Carver’s Shave Butter, Post-Shave and Repair Serum, One Wipe Charlie’s, NEW Boogie’s hair styling collection, and more. Dollar Shave Club is currently up to 2 million members, and growing daily.
Price: $3 a month and up, Available at DollarShaveClub.com
THE SKIN SAVER…
Anthony Glycolic Exfoliating & Resurfacing Wipes
These alcohol-free, glycolic/AHA wipes deliver maximum impact. Swipes away dirt and grime, gently exfoliates to remove dead skin cells, minimizes pores, evens skin tone and leaves skin feeling hydrated and smooth. These uniquely textured wipes resurface and smooth skin in one step. Comes in an easy-to-open pouch to use at home or on the go. Packed with Aloe Vera to soothe and Menthol to cool your skin.
- Glycolic Acid/AHA (alpha hydroxy acid): A powerful yet gentle exfoliator to slough off dead skin cells, increase skin cell renewal and promote radiant, healthy-looking skin
- Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract: A plant extract to calm, heal and hydrate skin
- Chamomile, Cucumber, White Tea Leaf and Green Tea Leaf Extracts: Condition, soothe and moisturize
- Ginseng Root Extract: A vital root to revitalize and protect skin
- Witch Hazel Extract: A natural astringent to tone and refine
- Tocopherol (Vitamin E): A powerful antioxidant to prevent damage from free radicals
Price: $18 (for 30 wipes), Available at Anthony.com, Ulta.com & Amazon.com
THE HAIR BOOSTERS…
Kérastase Bain Capital Force
Homme Capital Force collection is the first dual-action hair maintenance system from Kérastase specially designed to protect men’s hair capital. Featuring advanced technology, this daily haircare regimen maintains healthy hair while combating hair loss to leave hair stronger, thicker and refreshed. Within the Homme Collection, Kérastase introduces a shampoo and two styling products.
- Bain Capital Force: daily shampoo is geared for men with normal hair that offers a tingling sensation to the scalp
- Gel Capital Force: sculpting, medium-hold gel to maintain healthy-looking hair with no visible residue
- Pate Capital Force: densifying modeling paste to provide a long-lasting hold without a sticky residue
Price: $33-40 each, Available at Kerastase-USA.com and Kérastase Salons
THE FINE FRAGRANCE…
Kenneth Cole Mankind Ultimate
MANKIND Ultimate by Kenneth Cole is the newest addition to the MANKIND fragrance collection. This limited edition scent continues to celebrate the evolution of the modern man – confident, connected and ready to take on today’s challenges. The Ultimate Man is a man who inspires, who demonstrates strength every day, and always perseveres. The fragrance is the ultimate addition to a man’s grooming routine. The scent opens with citrus accord mixed with cucumber and a splash of watery effervescence on the top. Middle notes include cashmere woods and vetiver root wrapped in an aromatic floral. The bottom notes hold the strength and foundation of the fragrance using sandalwood, oak moss, tonka crystals and a trail of addictive musk to captivate the senses.
Price: $74, Available at Macy’s and Macy’s.com.