Known as a nutrient booster, avocados are a fruit that nearly 20 essentials vitamins and minerals. For over 10,000 years, avocados have been cultivated. While delicious on its own, avocados have become the star ingredient in many favorite dishes. Guacamole is one of those dishes.
September 16 is National Guacamole Day. While everyone’s preferences vary, guacamole can be used in many ways. With nearly 105 million pounds of avocados were consumed during the 2014 Super Bowl, guacamole can be served with more than just chips. Add some sliced peppers, carrots or other favorite vegetable for a healthier option. Additionally, guacamole can be used as a sandwich spread, a topping for a chicken or even with your morning eggs.
In addition to your favorite dish, avocados can be used in beverages. With more potassium than a banana, the avocado can boost nutrients and add a creamy texture to a beverage. Whether added to a creamy shake or a tasty cocktail, these beverages have the added benefit of extra fruit in each sip.
In honor of National Guacamole Day, Sauza Tequila has created a tasty cocktail and twist on classic guacamole. Time to say salud to this super fruit.
Good to be Green
- 1 ½ parts Sauza® Signature Blue Silver 100% Agave Tequila
- 2 parts limeade concentrate
- ½ parts triple sec
- ½ ripe avocado, chopped
- ½ cups ice
- Avocado slice for garnish
Preparation: Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Serve in a salt rimmed glass. Add an avocado slice for garnish. Enjoy!
Artichoke Guacamole with Toasted Pine Nuts
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tsp. finely chopped white onion
- 2 tsp. minced jalapeño or Serrano chilies (Optional: remove seeds and membranes)
- ½ tsp. teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 large ripe avocados, peeled and seeded
- 1 small plum tomato, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 tsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- In a medium size bowl, use the back of a spoon to mash 1 tablespoon of the cilantro, 1 teaspoon onion, 1 teaspoon of minced chili, and ½ teaspoon salt together against the bottom of the bowl.
- Add the avocados and gently mash them with a fork until chunky-smooth.
- Add 1 cup of marinated artichoke hearts chopped with ¼ cup of toasted pine nuts and stir.
- Fold the remaining cilantro, onion, and chili into the mixture.
- Stir in tomatoes and lime juice, taste to adjust the seasonings.
- Serve with warm corn tortilla chips.
**Makes 4 Servings