Have you heard the latest “buzz?” According to a Miami Herald report published on Nov. 21, a delicious beverage holiday is hours away and Americans are in the mood to celebrate! If you need a little something to get up and go, go grab your biggest cup, folks. Nov. 23 is National Espresso Day in the U.S.A!
The annual beverage holiday celebrates espresso, the bold Italian-style coffee that millions just can’t seem to get enough of. Many folks mistakenly believe espresso is a type of bean, it isn’t. It is actually the way it is brewed that makes it espresso. Legend has it that Luigi Bezzera “invented” espresso after being frustrated at just how long it took to make a good cup of coffee. He figured out that by adding steam pressure to the coffee process, it produced a much stronger cup of Joe. Pressurized hot water is forced though finely ground coffee resulting in a delicious drink and topped off with a delightfully rich foam called crema.
Whether you enjoy the occasion with a tried-and-true favorite or a brand new brew, today is the day to enjoy a big cuppa espresso. And while you are at it, be sure to check out the following recipes in honor of the occasion.
Karha Crème created by Mixologist, Revae Schneider
- 1 oz. Baileys Espresso Crème
- 1 oz. Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
- 3/4 oz. French Vanilla Creamer
- 1/4 oz. Chai Syrup
- Star Anise
Directions: Combine Baileys Espresso Crème, Captain Morgan spiced rum, vanilla creamer and chai syrup in a cocktail shaker half filled with ice. Shake well for 30 seconds. Strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with star anise.
- 2 oz. Baileys Espresso Créme
- 1/4 oz Smirnoff Vodka
- 1/4 oz Espresso
Directions: Add all ingredients to a cocktail shake filled with ice. Shake well and strain into a Martini glass
Double Shot Martini
- 1.5 parts Avión Espresso
- 1 parts Milk or Half and Half
Directions: Add all ingredients to a shaker. Shake and strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with one to three espresso beans.
Mole Y Espresso
- 2 oz. Avión Espresso
- 1 oz. Premium Hot Chocolate
- Fresh Whipped Cream and Mint Leaf for garnish
- Directions: Combine ingredients in glass and heat. Garnish with fresh whipped cream and a mint leaf.
Lavazza Iced Cappuccino
- Fill a clear glass cup half way with ice cubes
- Brew a double espresso and pour over ice
- Pour cold milk froth (recipe below) directly on top
- Garnish with chocolate powder or flakes
Cold Milk Froth: Place 4-5 ice cubes, 4 tablespoons skim milk, 2 packets of sugar, 2 pumps of desired flavor and a single espresso into a blender. Blend for one minute, until mixture is a thick and creamy.