The Coast Guard searching for the two missing Florida teens’ spoke with Fox News live on Monday morning offering an update on the search for these boys. They announced they still consider this a “search and rescue” mission today. The two 14-year-old boys left Friday afternoon to go fishing and they were last seen gassing up the 19-foot vessel at about 1:30 on Friday. Their boat was found capsized almost 70 miles out at sea off the Florida Coast.
According to Fox News on July 27, the search for Perry Cohen and Austin Stephanos continued overnight Sunday into Monday using a HC-144 Ocean Sentry airplane, MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter and a 45-foot response boat. The Coast Guard has covered more than 25,000 nautical square miles since 5 p.m. on Friday when they got the call that the boys were missing. The search area is now the size of Indiana and the Gulf Stream, which goes north, could have carried the boys further than first thought, which has prompted the Coast Guard to enlarge the search area.
According to MSN News today, The Coast Guard located the 19-foot capsized boat about 11 a.m. on Sunday. A rescue swimmer was lowered by the Coast Guard helicopter who confirmed the registration numbers of the boat. Petty Officer Steve Lehmann said while the search and rescue continues, the boat will be anchored in place. A picture of the capsized boat appears above, it was taken by the Coast Guard.
From the location of the overturned boat, the Coast Guard believes the search area needed to move off the coast of Jacksonville, where they are today. They have calculated the weather, wind and most importantly the current, which carried the boat much further than first expected.
The family of the boys said they believe the boys have on life jackets, which they believe there could have been as many as six on board the boat. They also believe the kids may be using the cooler that they had with them as a floatation device. The engine cover from the boat is missing, which would also make another floatation device for the boys. Only one life vest was found in the hull of the boat and they believe their could have been at least six on board to begin with.
The Coast Guard’s hope is that these two boys are still alive and together in the water. The parents of the boys are not giving up hope. They spoke with the media today and said that when they didn’t hear from the boys at a pre-determined time, they reported them missing. The boys had been gone only three hours when the families reported the teens missing and it was because they didn’t check in.
The Coast Guard at first attempted to sway any non-official search boats away from the search area. Today they are asking boaters in the area to “be alert of their surroundings.” They are also asking that if any of the boaters find any items in the water that could have come from the teens’ boats to please notify them with their location.
Hundreds of family members, friends and classmates attended a Sunday night prayer vigil for the two missing 14-year-olds from South Florida. Many are holding on to hope that the boys will be rescued and that a Coast Guard aircraft or ocean vessel will spot them sometime today.
NFL Hall of Famer Joe Namath is a neighbor of the Cohen family and he said during a news conference that both the boys are experienced boaters. Namath said, “We’ve got to believe in their wherewithal.” There is a $100,000 reward offered for whoever finds the boys.