Bowlers from the Sarasota-Manatee County area — including all four members of Team SKOB — had a major impact on the leaderboard on the second and final weekend (Nov. 21-22) of the 62nd annual St. Petersburg Women’s Classic.
Team SKOB — consisting of Paula Wenzel, Beth Owen-Cipielewski, Jennifer Peacock and Samantha Rocca-Linder — topped the final, unofficial standings in the scratch team event with a pinfall of 2,545, and all four members had a 279 game during the nine games of competition.
Wenzel paced the tournament in scratch all-events with 2,066 (a 229.5 average), and she paired with Owen-Cipielewski for the handicap doubles title (1,443) and the runner-up spot in scratch doubles (1,383), with Wenzel rolling a 700 scratch series and Owen-Cipielewski a 683.
Wenzel also finished No. 2 in scratch singles (701), No. 2 in handicap all-events (2,210) and No. 7 in handicap singles (749). Owen-Cipielewski also was fourth in scratch all-events (1,972) and sixth in scratch singles (662).
“I just concentrated on making good shots, and I bowled with a great partner in doubles that helped keep me focused on my game,” Wenzel said. “Overall, it was one of my best performances in quite a long time, and as a team, we meshed well and bowled well together.”
Peacock and Rocca-Linder were fourth in scratch doubles (1,286), while Peacock was also third in scratch singles (694) and sixth in scratch all-events (1,924), with Rocca-Linder posting a 10th-place finish in scratch all-events (1,888).
“I love that event, and I really was happy with the team that we put together,” Owen-Cipielewski said. “All of us had great moments, and we all shot at least a 279 game. How fun is that? That’s what bowling is all about. Great friends and good bowling.”
Cindy Grich of Sarasota also emerged with an individual title in scratch singles (716), and she was also fourth in handicap singles (758) and ninth in scratch all-events (1,924).
Other first-place finishes were posted by: Tampa Baybees of Reddington Shores (2,692 in handicap team); Pam Sprow and Lucy Sandelin of Tampa (1,406 in scratch doubles); Crystal Tudor of Pinellas Park (795 in handicap singles); and Yanette Thompson of Homestead (2,226 in handicap all-events).
Following are the top three in each of the eight event categories, plus bowlers from the Sarasota-Manatee area listed among the Top 25:
- TEAM HANDICAP: 1, Tampa Baybees (Reddington Shores) 2,692; 2, Seminole Girls (Pinellas Park) 2,682; 3, Have Ball Will Travel (Miami) 2,681; 9, SRQ Friends No. 2 (Bradenton) 2,618; 11, Team SKOB (Sarasota) 2,608; 16, Myakka Keystone Heating & Cooling (Sarasota) 2,587; 19, SRQ Friends No. 4 (Bradenton) 2,583; 22, Livin’ On A Spare (Sarasota) 2,570.
- TEAM SCRATCH: 1, Team SKOB (Sarasota) 2,545; 2, Time To Spare (Orlando) 2,431; 3, Lunachicks (Dunedin) 2,339.
- DOUBLES HANDICAP: 1, Beth Owen-Cipielewski and Paula Wenzel (Sarasota) 1.443; 2, Samantha McCue and Laurel Spinner (Fort Myers) 1,492;3, Bonnie Petrik and Berry Ludwig (Largo) 1,435; tie 14, Peggy Parker and Rebeca Chavarria (Bradenton) 1,376; 18, Cindy Grich and Jean Clearwater (Sarasota) 1,374; 20, Pat Peters and Wendy Brown (Sarasota) 1,364.
- DOUBLES SCRATCH: 1, Pam Sprow and Lucy Sandelin (Tampa) 1,406; 2, Beth Owen-Cipielewski and Paula Wenzel (Sarasota) 1,383; 3, Samantha McCue and Laurel Spinner (Fort Myers) 1,313; 4, Jennifer Peacock (North Port) and Samantha Rocca-Linder (Sarasota) 1,286.
- SINGLES HANDICAP: 1, Crystal Tudor (Pinellas Park) 795; 2, Xyla Imschweiler (Tampa) 782; 3, Theresa Matos (Brooksville 779; 4, Cindy Grich (Sarasota) 758; 7, Paula Wenzel (Sarasota) 701; 10 , Rebeca Chavarria (Bradenton) 733; 11, Alison Shedrow (Parrish) 730; 16, Darlene Bonds (Bradenton) 721.
- SINGLES SCRATCH: 1, Cindy Grich (Sarasota) 716; 2, Paula Wenzel (Sarasota) 701; 3, Jennifer Peacock (North Port) 694; 6, Beth Owen-Cipielewski (Sarasota) 662; 20, Samantha Rocca-Linder (Sarasota) 579.
- ALL-EVENTS HANDICAP: 1, Yanette Thompson (Homestead) 2,226; 2, Paula Wenzel (Sarasota) 2,210; 3, Xyla Imschweiler (Tampa) 2,163; 8, Rebeca Chavarria (Bradenton) 2,102; 9, Pat Peters (Sarasota) 2,081; 18, Jean Clearwater (Sarasota) 2,056; 21, Alison Shedrow (Parrish) 2,048; tie 25, Cindy Grich (Sarasota) 2,040.
- ALL-EVENTS SCRATCH: 1, Paula Wenzel (Sarasota) 2,066; 2, Lucy Sandelin (Tampa) 2,010; 3, Yanette Thompson (Homestead) 1,992; 4, Beth Owen-Cipielewski (Sarasota) 1,972; 6, Jennifer Peacock (North Port) 1,924; 9, Cindy Grich (Sarasota) 1,914; 10, Samantha Rocca-Linder (Sarasota) 1,888.
For a link to access the complete final, unofficial tournament standings, click here.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald’s bowling columns — free of charge — by clicking on “Subscribe To Author” near the bottom of the article, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published.]