After several months of planning and the sponsorship of University of Missouri – St. Louis (UMSL), Sifu Su-Bo Liao and Metro-St. Louis area’s Tai Chi and Kung Fu instructors will present a free Tai Chi and Kung Fu exhibition on Oct. 16 on the campus of UMSL. This event will showcase Wudang, Chen Style Tai Chi, Yang Style Tai Chi, Sun Style Tai Chi, Fu Style Tai Chi and Kung Fu, Shaolin Kung Fu and more. It will also be the first time that people in the region can meet Wudang Fu Style Grandmaster Victor Fu of Canada and watch him perform rarely-seen Wudang Fu Style Tai Chi and Kung Fu.
Chinese Martial Arts has a long and diverse history. Before the establishment of the Buddhist Shaolin Temple, there was a plethora of martial art styles. Approximately 1400 years ago, Shaolin Monk Bodhidarma created Yi Jin Jing (Tendon Changing), Bone Marrow Washing Qigong, and other Kung Fu routines. Later, the Shaolin Temple integrated other martial art styles and became a complete martial system with hundreds of bare-hand and weapon forms, mostly known as external martial art styles. Taoist Monk Zhang San Feng (lived around 1300 C.E.) was credited for creating internal martial art theory and some internal martial art movements. Chen Wangting (1600-1680 C.E.) created Chen Style Tai Chi that became the origin of modern Tai Chi styles: Yang, Wu, Wu/Hao, Sun, Fu, Li, Chen Style Hun Yuan, etc. Hundreds if not thousands of external and internal martial art styles and forms have since developed and flourished.
Chinese martial arts have been practiced for several decades in the greater St. Louis area. Today there are over one hundred instructors at different levels teaching Kung Fu, Tai Chi, and Qigong. Sifu Su-Bo, the organizer of this event, has a dream to bring as many teachers and styles together to perform so people in this region can experience the richness of the Chinese martial arts. The event is also an opportunity for practitioners of different styles to exchange knowledge and experience with each other.
2015 St. Louis Tai Chi & Kung Fu Show Program will be held 7:30 -9:30 p.m. at J.C. Penny Hall at UMSL campus. The program will include but not limited to the following performances:
- International Shaolin Wushu Center: Lion Dance and Shaolin Kung Fu, by Dr. Paul Lee and the group.
- Monsanto Tai Chi Group: Chen Style Tai Chi Sword and 42 Tai Chi Quan, by Sifu Qin Zeng, JD Liu, and Liping Wei.
- STL Chinese Tai Chi Association: Fu style Tai Chi (short form) and Sword, by Sifu Su Liao, Hung Gay Fung, Wei Kong, Hesheng Zhao, Quanxian Liu, Anlin Zhu, JD. Liu, Chun Ma, et al.
- Alsup Traditional Yang Tai Chi Quan: Yang Style Tai Chi and Sword, by Sifus LeRoy and Niko Alsup and the group.
- Zhu Minhui Tai Chi Club: Chen Style Tai Chi and Sword, by Sifu Minhui Zhu and the group.
- Fu Style Grandmaster Victor Fu from Vancouver, Canada: Advanced Fu Style Tai Chi (short form).
- STL Daoist Association: Wudang Sanfeng Original 13 Postures Taiji and Xuanmen Sword, by Sifu Tim Bruewer and the Group.
- UMSTL Tai Chi group: Tai Chi Fan & Fu Style Liang Yih Chuan, by Sifu Sam Lin
- STL Sun Style Tai Chi Quan: Sun Style Tai Chi, by Sifu Kuan Leon Wen
- Fu Style Grandmaster Victor Fu from Vancouver, Canada: Wudang Fu Style Seven Star Sword
- Fontbonne University Tai Chi Group: Chen Style Tai Chi, by Sifu Victor Wang
- STL Fu Style Club: Fu style Yang Bagua, by Sifu Mike Burnside
- Fu Style Grandmaster Victor Fu from Vancouver, Canada: Dragon Palm Bagua
For question and more info, you can contact Sifu Su-Bo Liao at (636) 675-5183 or email@example.com.