When you’re looking for healthy summer lunch box ideas for work, nothing beats a tasty vegetarian sandwich, especially if said sandwich includes avocados and a whole lot of spice! Who said cold lunch ideas need to be bland?
Healthy lunch ideas for work this time of year include fresh-from-the-garden-or-farmer’s-market ingredients like tomatoes and butter lettuce. Heirloom tomatoes make a fun addition to this healthy sandwich.
This work lunch box idea tastes best if you add the tomatoes once you get to work. Or better yet, if you have a kitchen at work, you may want to try bringing the ingredients and assembling the sandwich at work, because the bread is toasted.
Chipotle, Tomato, Avocado, and Lettuce Sandwich
- 1/4 c. low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 chipotles in adobo
- 8 pieces of whole grain bread
- 1 head of lettuce or enough leaf lettuce for 4 sandwiches
- 2 sliced, medium-sized tomatoes
- 2 fresh and rip Avocados
- Salt or salt-free substitute
- Add the chipotles and yogurt to the blender and blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Toast the bread.
- Spread some of the chipotle yogurt sauce on the slices.
- Build the sandwich.
Add a Cultural or Educational Component
This chipotle avocado sandwich isn’t just an excellent cold lunch idea for work, teens who love spicy foods will love this sandwich. If you’re making lunch for a teen or if you run a school kitchen or edible schoolyard program, this sandwich can be cultural segue into Mexican or Latin-inspired flavors.
If you’re implementing an edible schoolyard component, why not try making your own bread for this recipe? Here’s two recipes to get you started:
- Sweet and simple wheat bread recipe, homemade sandwich bread
- Easy Italian bread recipe from scratch: How to bake Italian bread
According to Fine Cooking
Chipotles are dried, smoked jalapeños. Adobo is a tangy, slightly sweet red sauce. Put them together in a can and they become a versatile pantry staple….Any Mexican or Latin food market will have them, and many supermarkets carry chipotles en adobo in their Mexican food sections…
A Less Spicy, but Still Healthy Alternative
If you’re concerned about the amount of spice this sandwich will bring to your work lunch box, use only one chipotle pepper instead of two.