If you are still using Windows XP and have not upgraded to Win 8.1, then you must learn some tips for the up gradation so that you can do it on your own.
Before You Start: To upgrade your Windows OS to 8.1 from XP, you will require a clean install of 8.1 DVD. This ensures that you will not be able to store any programs, files or settings during the upgrading process.
• Review System Requirements: This is a very important stage where you are required to check whether your computer meets all the system requirements for Windows 8 or not. The system requirement of Win 8.1 is more or less same as Windows 8. For more information in this regard, you can visit http://taskbob.com/ . You will mainly require 1 or 2 GB RAM, 16 or 20 GB free hard disk space, 1 GHZ processor, MS DirectX 9 graphics card.
• Check Compatibility: You should check whether the programs are compatible with Windows 8.1 or not. The drivers should allow you to complete the entire installation process of Windows 8.1 and connect you to the internet.
• Back Up All Data: You should keep the backup of all your data as you will not be able to store the programs, files and the documents from Windows XP. You can keep the data in external storage like the portable hard drive, USB drive or CD or else can store the data in the cloud OneDrive.
Buy Windows 8.1: After buying the original version of Windows 8.1, you should determine whether your system can successfully run the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of Windows. You can consult the Taskbob’s computer repair services if you have any confusion regarding the checking process.
• Step 1: Click on the Start button and open the Performance Information Tools. After that, you can click the Control Panel.
• Step 2 : You can click on the View And Print Details
• Step 3: In the system section, you should check if the operating system is running under a specific system type and whether it is capable of 64 bits or not.
• Step 4: After checking the capability, you should find the product key with 25 characters. You can save a copy of the product key in case you need to re-install your Windows in the future.
Insert the Windows 8.1 DVD: You can turn on your system and insert the DVD. When the windows start normally, you can restart your system and press any key to start the booting process from the DVD. At this stage, you are required to select the settings of the country or the region.
Perform Clean Installation Process: You should perform a step by step installation process for a clean installation.
Step 1: Click on Install Windows
Step 2: Enter the product key for activating the operation of the Windows
Step 3: Go through the license terms and conditions
Step 4: Select the type of installation; you can also customize the installation in the advanced versions.
Select the Settings: After the installation process is over, you are required to select the settings. You can choose the color and can personalize according to your choice.
After selecting the settings, you are almost done with the up gradation process and critical updates are available now. The Windows will automatically check with the critical updates and will download by default. Sometimes, you may require restarting your system more than once for completing the entire process of updates. As the updated Windows comes with OneDrive, you are not required to worry about the storage of the data in the cloud.