Midian Unmade: Tales of Clive Barker’s Nightbreed will be released on July 28, 2015.
The anthology, edited by Joe Nassise and Del Howison, has been eagerly awaited by fans of Clive Barker’s since it was first announced in late 2013. Contributors were given Barker’s permission to use the existing members of the Breed that appear in the novella Cabal, in the film Nightbreed, and in the companion volume, The Nightbreed Chronicles, published by Titan Books.
The press release for the book states, “Clive Barker’s Nightbreed has been controversial since the moment it was released in a version edited by the studio and roundly condemned by Barker, who wrote and directed the film. A virtually instant cult film, Nightbreed–based on Barker’s novella, Cabal–was nominated for three Saturn Awards and won several prizes at European film festival.
The impact of Nightbreed goes beyond the screen; along with Cabal and Barker’s seminal The Books of Blood, it has inspired many horror writers, some of whom have gathered in this tribute anthology.
Midian Unmade tells the stories of the Nightbreed after the fall of their city, Midian. Driven from their homes, their friends and family members slain before their eyes, the monsters become a mostly-hidden diaspora. Some are hunted; others, hunters. Some seek refuge. Others want revenge.
Contributors to Midian Unmade include: Karl Alexander, author of the classic novel Time After Time; actor, writer, and director Amber Benson (Tara Maclay on Buffy the Vampire Slayer); New York Times bestselling author Nancy Holder; Hugo and John W. Campbell Award-winner Seanan McGuire; Bram Stoker Award winner Weston Ochse, David J. Schow, winner of the World Fantasy Award, writer of the screenplay for The Crow; New York Times bestselling writer Stephen Woodworth; and many more–23 stories in all.
With an introduction by Clive Barker, this is an outstanding collection of original horror short stories in a dazzling variety of styles.”
In addition to being an award-winning book editor, Del Howison owns the famous Dark Delicacies Bookstore in Los Angeles. On Saturday August 1 Dark Delicacies will host a Midian Unmade:Tales of Clive Barker’s Nightbreed signing with editors Nassise and Howison, as well as authors Weston Ochse, Paul J. Salamoff, Christopher Monfette, Nancy Holder, Stephen Woodworth, Kelly Dunn, David J. Schow, and others TBA. Can’t get to Los Angeles for the signing? You’re in luck! Visit the darkdel.com website and order your copy now. The signed hardcover edition will be in the mail to you immediately after the event!
Here is the table of contents…
Edited by Joseph Nassise and Del Howison
- “A Return to Midian” by Lisa Majewski
- “Moon Inside” by Seanan McGuire
- “The Night Ray Bradbury Died” by Kevin Wetmore
- “Another Little Piece of My Heart” by Nancy Holder
- “The Kindness of Surrender” by Kurt Fawver
- “The Angel of Isisford” by Brian Craddock
- “Pride” by Amber Benson
- “Button, Button” by Ernie Cooper
- “I Am the Night You Never Speak Of” by C. Robert Cargill
- “The Devil Until the Credits Roll” by Weston Ochse
- “The Lighthouse of Midian” by Ian Rogers
- “Lakrimay” by Nerine Dorman
- “And Midian Whispered Its Name” by Shaun Meeks
- “Cell of Curtains” by Timothy Baker
- “Tamara” by Paul Salamoff
- “Raphael’s Shroud” by Karl Alexander
- “Wretched” by Eddie Brauer
- “A Monster Among Monsters” by Stephen Woodworth and Kelly Dunn
- “The Jesuit’s Mask” by Durand Welsh
- “Rook” by Rob Salem
- “Collector” by David Schow
- “Bait and Switch” by Lilith Saintcrow
- “The Farmhouse” by Christopher Monfette
For more information about the Nightbreed and all things Midian, visit Clive Barker’s official website and join the Occupy Midian page on Facebook.