Nine months on from his first victory of the 2015 season, Nike athlete Rory McIlroy closed out his campaign on Sunday with another win in Dubai, this time at the DP World Tour Championship — a victory that also saw him finish atop the Race to Dubai standings for a second straight year.
Four-time major champion McIlroy — who began the final round a shot behind the tournament leader on the Earth Course — debuted the new Nike Lunar Control 4 shoes, featuring dynamic Nike Flywire technology that provides lateral support in the midfoot, while a new, robust external heel counter helps lock the foot in place to support his powerful 120mph-swing from the ground up.
In addition to the Lunar Control 4, he also gamed a new Nike Vapor Prototype driver and Nike RZN Prototype golf ball. He led the driving distance chart for the week, averaging 322.1 yards off the tee for the four rounds at Jumeirah Golf Estates, as he went on to record his third Race to Dubai title in four years.
The 26-year-old recorded a stunning total of 26 birdies, testament to his crisp ball-striking and clinical ability on the greens. The Northern Irishman was also using a Nike Method Prototype putter, signing for scores of 68, 68, 65 and 66, finishing in the top-5 for putts-per-round with an average of 28.3.
The win in Dubai was McIlroy’s fourth of the campaign, following wins at the Omega Dubai Desert Classic, WGC-Cadillac Matchplay and Wells Fargo Championship.
McIlroy’s Nike Golf Arsenal
- Driver: Nike Vapor Prototype 8.5-degree
- Fairway Wood: Nike Vapor Speed 3-wood/15-degree and 5-wood/19-degree
- Irons: Nike Vapor VR Pro (4-9)
- Wedges: Nike VR Forged 46-degree, 52-degree, 56-degree, Engage 59-degree
- Putter: Nike Method Prototype
- Ball: Nike RZN Prototype
- Apparel: Nike Performance
- Footwear: Nike Lunar Control 4
Nike Golf’s 2015 International Victories:
- Rory McIlroy – DP World Tour Championship (European Tour)
- Thorbjørn Olesen – Alfred Dunhill Championship (European Tour)
- Rory McIlroy – Omega Dubai Desert Classic (European Tour)
Nike Golf’s 2015 PGA Tour Victories:
- Rory McIlroy – Wells Fargo Championship
- Rory McIlroy – WGC-Cadillac Match Play
Nike Golf’s 2015 Web.com Victories:
- Patrick Rodgers – Pacific Rubiales Colombia Championship
Nike Golf’s 2015 LPGA Tour Victories:
- Suzann Pettersen – Manulife LPGA Classic