The fast paced hair industry is dynamic and glamorous with numerous opportunities for creative individuals. Job seekers can apply for different positions that include styling, sales, marketing, management and retail.
Determine your Direction
If your goal is to develop a career in the hair industry, you need to determine the areas that you want to specialize in. The type of training you receive and what you are passionate about can help you decide what you want to do.
You can begin as a trainee in an organization where you will gradually learn about hair and extensions. In order for you to fully benefit from a training experience, you need to be ambitious, enthusiastic and ready to learn.
• People who have good communication and social skills can consider getting involved in customer service. From being a receptionist to handling phone calls from customers, you get a chance to learn more about the hair industry and improve the skills that you already have.
• If you want to work directly with customers, you need to be able to listen to them and anticipate what their needs may be. Your customers need to be assured that you genuinely care about their needs and you can help them choose products that are suitable for them.
• Customer service jobs give you the opportunity to move on to managerial positions over time or become actively involved in creating styling concepts.
If you are passionate about sales and the hair industry, you can apply for jobs that will enable you to showcase your skills at a hair company. You may be required to work at the company’s premises, go out to the field or work from home, depending on the organization’s policies. This is one of the popular career options, because the sales department plays a significant role in the success and stability of any business.
Projects and Creativity
For people who work in the hair industry, exciting career opportunities enable them to fulfill their roles and make an active contribution to the beauty industry as a whole. They work with a diverse range of people, handle various projects and get involved in creative activities to provide high quality hair products that are distributed around the world.
Enjoy your Work
There is an ongoing increase in the number of people looking for internships and jobs in the industry, hoping to get in and build their careers. Being successful involves identifying something that you will not only enjoy doing, but be paid for as well. If you love and enjoy what you do, your job will be something to look forward to every day.
An important aspect of success is networks and relationships. You need to work on establishing meaningful business relationships and nurturing them in order for you to get access to more opportunities. Many career breakthroughs in the hair industry have resulted from the networks that have been established and the opportunities that have been created.
Along with creating networks, set aside time to attend informative events, industry conferences and seminars where you can learn more. Reach out to representatives of various brands and the media that can give you exposure if you are involved in promoting the products that the company sells.
Research and Knowledge
Hair companies want to be able to know that you can function both theoretically and practically. Read as much you can to build your hair company career. Subscribe to publications such as hair, beauty and women’s magazines as well as business journals.
Go through relevant blogs and social media sites to gather as much information as you can about the industry. Being well informed shows how willing you are to learn and the passion that you have for your career.
The hair industry is vibrant and social; maintain a positive attitude so that you can be a pleasant person to be around. Hair and beauty require a positive approach to enable you to work more effectively with managers, colleagues, suppliers and customers.
Know your Role
The popularity of quality hair extensions around the world makes it necessary for everyone at the company to play their role and ensure that customers’ expectations are met. You should be detail oriented to make sure that any errors or omissions are quickly spotted and dealt with.
Ongoing Skills Development
• When you are first getting started in the hair industry, your patience and willingness to learn will make you stand out. Working effectively at the International Hair Company requires abundant creativity as well as other skills such as writing to create content about the products.
• Be prepared to start your career at an entry level position and work hard to continually develop your skills and get new career opportunities.
• Keep on learning and work on developing a variety of skills.
• The initial stages of your career are an important learning opportunity that will provide you with valuable lessons for the future.
• Along with the skills that are relevant to the industry, work on other skills that may not be directly linked to the position such as being analytical.
Finding a Job
• When you want to look for a job, be persistent by following up when you send out applications and attend interviews. Your resume and interviews should showcase your ability to accomplish tasks and produce the desired results.
• The passion to succeed will be evident in how you apply for jobs and handle interviews. If you have previous experience working with hair and extensions or other aspects of the beauty industry, demonstrate how much value you have added to the organizations that you have worked for.
• Always be well prepared for interviews with sufficient knowledge and ask questions when you can.