Unfortunately too many people choose not to support the local musicians and venues. when you support the local music events you are supporting the town you live in and the businesses that keep the area alive.
Reasons to support the Local Music Events :
- Musicians are people like you – they might seem like rock stars on stage but behind the scenes they are just like you, working a full time job to support their families. When you purchase a t-shirt or CD from a local musician you are helping them pursue their musical passions, which in turns benefits you because they are producing and performing for your entertainment.
- Going to see a local band / musician perform is much cheaper on your wallet and you get more entertainment for your buck.
- Musical Diversity – The more performances locally you support, the more variety of music you have to choose from in the future.
- When you purchase and wear local merchandise, you are showing pride in your home town and your place within the community.
- Musicians are a healthy part of the local economies. When you support the local musicians you are supporting the local business owners and employees. The local bars and venues – you are keeping their doors open.
- When your favorite local band / musician becomes famous you can always say ” I was there at the beginning”
- The local shows are more intimate – you are able to be within feet of them performing and usually are part of the performance. You also get the chance to socialize with the artists before or after their set at no charge.
- Local Musicians are there for you – they are there to entertain you. The least you can do is support them by showing up and having a great time listening to them.
Support the local musicians by :
Showing up at the performances – Usually you can see 3 or 4 bands perform for a small cover charge – $5 to $10.
Spread the word on social media for your favorites : Even if you are not planning on attending a show – if you get an invite accept it – never decline it. When you accept it your friends will see the event – maybe they are not friends with the band and didn’t get that invite – so by you accepting maybe someone else will show up and support them. When you decline the event – it goes no further – no-one on your wall can see it.
Word of mouth – tell someone about a great band you have seen or heard.
Like their pages on Facebook, Follow them on Twitter, get to know them on every social site you can think of. If they are not on there suggest it to them.
Support the local venues by :
Showing up at the events they sponsor – if you don’t show up they most likely won’t have it again. By supporting the venue you are keeping someone off of unemployment.
Spread the word on the social media sites that the venues have other things going on besides the live music. Get out there during the week and on the weekends. Enjoy the time with your friends while keeping the community alive.
Let your favorite Musician or Venue know about our weekly Live music article, have them send us their information.