Welcome holiday visitors with simplicity and thoughtfulness.
Holiday gatherings summon family members and friends for revelry and reminiscing. Often, traveling holiday guests may be invited for overnight stays. What simple things can hosts do to make out-of-town company feel welcomed and at home? Here are some creative and practical suggestions for preparing a hospitable guest room – almost anywhere in the home. These top 10 guest room welcome items are listed alphabetically for easy reference.
- Blanket – Any guest room, of course, will need to be set up with appropriate bed linens. But a hospitable host will also offer an extra blanket, quilt, or coverlet for holiday guests to use, if needed.
- Clock radio – Although overnight holiday guests will likely arrive with cellular phones and perhaps wristwatches, a clock radio is an essential bedside tool. A thoughtful host will check to make sure the alarm is switched off before guests arrive.
- Coat rack – Ideally, a guest room will offer an empty closet or even a bit of closet space. However, as this is not always possible, a free-standing coat rack or an over-the-door garment hook is the next best choice. Holiday guests will need a spot to hang up their festive apparel.
- Door lock – Particularly in homes with young children and pets, a guest room (or even a den or basement room accommodating overnight guests) ought to be equipped with a door lock. This device should fasten from the inside of the room, offering privacy for overnight guests.
- Dresser drawer – If possible, at least one dresser drawer or shelf may be emptied, so that overnight guests may stow their belongings without clutter. This is especially helpful for holiday visitors who will stay for multiple nights.
- Fan – A ceiling fan or standing fan is a nice addition for the guest’s quarters in a hospitable home. The fan contributes to visitors’ comfort, while also providing soothing sleeping noise.
- Flowers – Fresh flowers may be the ultimate welcoming touch in any guest room. For winter holiday entertaining, silk flowers or pot-pourri may add similar effect. Even a floral wreath, on the wall or set around a scented pillar candle, is a lovely addition.
- Night light – A simple nightlight, plugged into the guest room wall, provides both safety and security for overnight guests, who may find the need to move about after bedtime for any reason. An additional nightlight is helpful in the bathroom available for visiting lodgers as well.
- Pillows – Certainly, the sleeping accommodations for holiday sleepover company will include pillows. But thoughtful hosts will offer an extra pillow or two for added comfort.
- Welcome basket – Finally, many hospitable holiday hosts assemble welcome baskets for seasonal sleepover guests. The bounty might include candies, dry snacks, facial tissues, lotion, water bottles, hand towels, sample-sized toiletries and a spare toothbrush or two. A small bottle of over-the-counter pain relief (such as Advil or Tylenol) and upset stomach remedy may be helpful too. Many hospitable holiday hosts set out simple welcome baskets on top of clean bath towels on guest beds.
Whether one invites holiday guests to stay in a spare bedroom, a child’s bunkroom, or even in the den, these few simple hosting hints may make visitors feel more comfortable and welcomed in the home.