Governor Greg Abbott’s move into action this week with a full offensive blitz against sanctuary cities in Texas is paying off in many media circles. The Governor began the week making it very clear that he is demanding an end to sanctuary cities in the State by appearing on the Sean Hannity radio program. He revealed he had issued a stern letter to democrat Dallas County Sheriff Lupe Valdez to reverse her policy of refusing to automatically detain criminal immigrants.
“I am demanding that the Dallas County Sheriff abandon her decision to not implement the U.S. immigration and custom standards,” said Abbott in the broadcast. “I laid down a marker today in the State of Texas that sanctuary city policies are no longer going to be tolerated. Instead, the laws of this land are going to be enforced.”
Abbott’s letter to Sheriff Valdez told her to back off of the unilaterally enacted policy she announced in September to refuse automatically detaining all criminal immigrants with the U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) federal detainer program. The program is designed to prevent dangerous criminals from being released into communities.
The Governor has received some positive support and feedback across the nation:
- Sean Hannity: “Good Job In Texas, I’ll Tell You That!” (The Sean Hannity Show, Oct. 27, 2015)
- Houston Chronicle’s Brian Rosenthal: “He [Abbott] Plans To Ramp Up The Fight Against So-Called ‘Sanctuary Cities.’” “Gov. Greg Abbott hinted Monday he plans to ramp up the fight against so-called ‘sanctuary cities,’ telling the Dallas County sheriff that the state “must pass laws” to prohibit them.” (Houston Chronicle, Oct. 26, 2015)
- Houston Chronicle Headline: “Abbott Takes Aim At Sanctuary Cities” (Houston Chronicle, Oct. 26, 2015)
- Beaumont Enterprise Editorial: “The Governor Is Right Here, And The Sheriff Is Wrong.” “The governor is right here, and the sheriff is wrong. Texas cities should not violate federal law on immigration even if they think it’s imperfect, especially because this issue invariably only affects illegal immigrants who have committed other crimes.” (Beaumont Enterprise, Oct. 28, 2015)
- San Antonio Headlines News Examiner, Jack Dennis: “Abbott has the majority of Texas citizens, and startling statistics, on his side when it comes to getting tough on illegal immigration.” (Examiner, Oct. 27, 2015)
- TX State Rep. Jason Villalba: “I Commend Gov. Greg Abbott For His Bold And Decisive Efforts To Stop This Flagrant Disregard For Federal Protocols.” (Texas Tribune, Oct. 28, 2015)
- Dallas Morning News’ Brandi Grissom: “He [Abbott] Is . . . Laying Down The Gauntlet.” (Texas Standard Radio, Oct. 27, 2015)
- Breitbart’s Bob Price: “Texas Governor Greg Abbott Admonished Dallas County Sheriff Lupe Valdez Over Her Recent Decision…” “Texas Governor Greg Abbott admonished Dallas County Sheriff Lupe Valdez over her recent decision to consider honoring immigration detainers on a ‘case-by-case’ basis. The governor said sanctuary city policies like this will ‘no longer be tolerated in Texas.’” (Breitbart, Oct. 26, 2015)
- Red State’s Moe Lane: “Basically, Governor Abbott Is Promising To Provide Some Real Pain For The County’s Non-Compliance With Federal Law, Here.” (Red State, Oct. 26, 2015)
- Red State Headline: “Texas Governor Greg Abbott Sends A BLISTERING Letter On Sanctuary Cities” (Red State, Oct. 26, 2015)
- International Business Times’ Bruce Wright: “The Governor Of Texas Had A Stern Warning Monday For The Top Law Enforcement Official In Dallas County: Enforce The Nation’s Laws, Or Else.” (International Business Times, Oct. 26, 2015)
- IJ Review’s Victoria Taft: “Lay(Ing) Down The Law With The Dallas Sheriff.” “Texas governor Greg Abbott invoked the memory of murder victim Kate Steinle to who’s announced an illegal alien ‘sanctuary city’ policy.” (IJ Review, Oct. 27, 2015)
- IJ Review Headline: “Texas Gov Draws Line In The Sand Over Sanctuary Cities…And Dares Feds To Cross It” (IJ Review, Oct. 27, 2015)
- “‘Sanctuary City’ policies like those promoted by your recent decision to implement your own case-by-case immigrant detention plan will no longer be tolerated in Texas,” Gov. Abbott stated in the letter to Sheriff Valdez. “Your decision to not fully honor ICE’s requests to detain criminal immigrants poses a serious danger to Texans. These detainers provide ICE with the critical notice and time it needs to take incarcerated immigrants into federal custody.”
Advocates against criminal immigrants in Texas see the policy change by Sheriff Valdez as a political move to support the Obama Administration’s attempts to push the President’s immigration agenda. Barack Obama would have likely vetoed an anti-sanctuary city proposed bill that was shot down by the U.S. Senate last week. If the proposal would have passed, Dallas County would not have received $2.9 million in federal funding for local policing programs.