Fall is a time for easy casserole recipes and crock pot meals. Curb your craving for comfort foods and maintain those healthy lifestyle choices by providing hearty meals made at home – and made with nutrition in mind.
Below are instructions for Homemade Meatballs with Tangy Fruit n’ Sauce, followed by some of my favorite, easy crock pot creations. All of these fall recipes make for excellent healthy cooking ideas for you and your family.
Ingredients for making Homemade Meatballs with Tangy Fruit n’ Sauce:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb italian sausage
- 1 1/3 cups organic, sugar-free catsup
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 T. gluten free or whole wheat flour bread crumbs or crackers (crumbled)
- 2 T. dried onion
- 3/4 t. garlic salt
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 2 cups sugar-free peach or apricot preserves
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 t. sriracha or chili-garlic sauce (optional)
Directions for Homemade Meatballs:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large mixing bowl combine the following: ground beef, italian sausage, 1/3 cup catsup, egg, bread crumbs or crackers, dried onion, garlic salt, pepper.
- Mix lightly until all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- Shape into 1-inch balls and arrange on a cookie sheet.
- Bake 18 – 20 minutes, or until browned. *Transfer meatballs to a slow cooker.
Directions for Tangy Fruit n’ Sauce:
- In another large mixing bowl combine the following: remaining catsup, preserves, soy sauce, vinegar, and hot sauce.
- Whisk together thoroughly and pour over meatballs in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-5 hours.
- Serve from the crock pot for up to 4 hours, or serve on a platter with toothpicks.
- You can make these meatballs ahead of time and freeze until ready to use. Simply *bake another 20 – 30 minutes longer, then cool and freeze for later use.
- This is a sugar-free meal if you remember to read your labels. Always check for hidden sugars in the ingredients listing.
- For extra flavor consider adding a small can of crushed pineapple or green chilis.
If you enjoyed this recipe, then CHECK OUT my Top-8 Homemade Crock Pot Creations on how to cook up some Natural, Healthy, Sugar-Free Love for you and your family this season!
- Easy Lemon Roasted Chicken
- Crock pot Tropical Tea
- Rosemary Pork, Mushrooms & Shallots
- Smoked Sausage with Cabbage & Apples
- Rosemary Chicken with White Beans
- Healthy Red Beans and Rice
- Best slow cooker Spanish Rice
- How to cook a Spicy Roast Beef
To locate a health food store in your area, or ideas on where to shop for local or organic ingredients, please click on any of the links below:
• Boise Co-Op
• Whole Foods Market
• Brown Box Organics
• Idaho Organic Store Locator
From my home to yours: another favorite recipe – enjoyed with nutrition in mind.