It’s never too early to start thinking about revisiting, or simply developing those healthy eating habits. During the winter, our desire for comfort foods tend to escalate.
Is it time to turn those eating habits around?
Start with my Turkey Meatball recipe. Not only is it easy to prepare, and tasty too! – it can be a fun way to get kids invested in good habits by cooking with them in the kitchen. Additionally, it’s fabulous baked, or slow cooked in a crock pot – depending on your time restraints, or other commitments.
Regardless, you’ll love this versatile, delicious, healthy lifestyle meal! Please see other favorites provided at the end of this recipe.
Ingredients for Baked Turkey Meatballs
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/4 C. gluten free *breadcrumbs
- 1/8 t. apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 t. salt
- 1 1/2 t. pepper
- 2/3 T. oregano
- 1/3 T. Italian seasoning
- 1 T. canola oil or
Directions for Baked Turkey Meatballs
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine and thoroughly mix all ingredients together.
- Roll in to 1 – 1 1/2 inch balls.
- Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
ALTERNATE COOKING OPTION: You may also slightly brown in a skillet, then transfer to a slow cooker. See complete instructions in the link provided in this sentence.
- Many healthy alternatives can be substituted for the *breadcrumbs: consider crushed, unsweetened cereal or flax seeds (combine 1T. seeds with 1 2/12 T water and allow to thicken before adding to the mixture).
- It is important to boost flavor when using ground turkey, especially when introducing to new pallets, as turkey recipes can taste bland.
- Flavored salts are an excellent way to create new and exciting alterations to the same dish. Have fun discovering new family favorites!
- Spice it up! by adding a handful of spicy Italian sausage, or add a T. of sriracha sauce.
- Consider replacing the oregano or Italian seasoning with other herbs of your choice. Especially fresh herbs when in season.
Please click on any of the following links for complete recipes to my favorite Healthy Slow Cooker recipe collection!
Main Dish Chicken
- Rosemary Chicken with White Beans
- Easy Lemon Roasted Chicken
- Creamy Ranch Chicken
Main Dish Beef or Pork
- How to cook a Spicy Roast Beef
- Smoked Sausage with Cabbage & Apples
- Rosemary Pork with Mushrooms & Shallots
- Homemade Meatballs with Tangy Fruit n’ Sauce
Main or Side Dish Carbohydrates
- Caesar Salad
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Slow Cooked Lady Finger Potatoes
- Best slow cooker Spanish Rice
- Healthy Red Beans and Rice
- Creamy Mushroom & Asparagus Soup
For ideas on where to shop for local or organic ingredients, please click on any of the links below:
• Boise Co-Op
• Whole Foods Market
• Brown Box Organics
• Idaho Organic Store Locator
From my home to yours: another favorite recipe – enjoyed with nutrition in mind.