Two heart healthy and easy breakfast recipes of mine are the Variegated Mini Frittata and the Spicy Scramble. Both are easy because they can be prepped in advance, but the Variegated Mini Frittata can be taken on the go!
The Variegated Mini Frittata’s make for a great pre-workout meal or road trip food. Whether you are a busy commuter, a college student, or a mom on the run in the morning, it’s difficult to always have a healthy breakfast. These Mini’s can be made in advance and then popped in the microwave for a few seconds for a delicious, nutritious, warm start to your day.
Headed out for an early morning hike or ski adventure? Make these Mini’s the night before to save time and hand them out as you’re headed down the road! You will feel good replacing those sugary quick grabs such as pop-tarts or sugar added yogurts, with a healthy homemade alternative. Also, this recipe is crust-less, so very little mess to worry about.
Healthy / Organic Cooking Spray
3 medium eggs, beaten
1 cup liquid egg white, beaten
3/4 cup grated cheese (I prefer Swiss, but provolone or cheddar are both good options)
1 large, diced *yam
1 t. olive or coconut oil
1 small, chopped shallot
1 cup diced fresh *mushrooms
3-4 oz. diced *pancetta
Salt & pepper (to taste)
1 t. fresh or thyme or basil (dried is fine too)
- Always remember to begin by cooking with flavor-boosting, healthy, usable fats such as coconut, grape seed, or olive oil.
- Avocado is another great unsaturated fat to add or substitute into this recipe.
- Add more *veggies for variety: asparagus, spinach, broccoli, or leeks. Feel free to get creative – especially seasonally!
- Yams may be omitted, but are best for *binding.
- *Pancetta can be replaced with sugar free ham, Canadian bacon, or turkey sausage.
- Consider using all veggies or tofu for a vegetarian version.
- Time Saver Tip: Cook Once,, Eat Twice: Use these same ingredients for dinner one night, chop up extra, and keep reserves on hand for easier Mini preparation later in the week.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and put hot water on to steam yam.
- Lightly grease mini muffin pans with cooking spray or use individual silicon baking cups.
- Beat egg and egg whites together and add cheese. Set aside.
- Peel, cube, and rinse yam. Steam the pieces in a steamer basket (appx 10 – 15 minutes until a fork slides in and out easily)
- Mash the yam up, set aside, allowing to cool for several minutes.
- In a small skillet over med-high heat, saute shallots in Olive or coconut oil until slightly browned. Cool completely, and then add to egg mixture.
- Add cooled onion and yam, diced mushrooms (or other veggies), diced pancetta, and thyme or basil. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix gently and thoroughly.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full and bake 15 – 20 minutes.
Other ideas or information about this recipe:
- For diabetic or weight issues, ingesting more high fiber fruits, vegetables, and legumes (leafy greens, cabbage, berries, asparagus, brussel sprouts, apples, and beans) help combat free radicals. Consider serving with fresh, season fruit or fresh squeezed juice.
- Keep in mind that smaller portions every few hours throughout the day will boost metabolism and regulate blood sugar levels.
- Avocado is a great fat source and a good dietary supplement for those with cholesterol issues.
- Breakfast is an essential part of jump-starting the body to maintain good health and diet management.
- Always remember to seek the advice of a certified physician for any health or dietary needs.
Don’t forget that incorporating Hearth Healthy Smoothies are another great alternative for healthy breakfast ideas as well as supporting your digestive system. For a full article about nourishing your digestive system, click on the link in this sentence. Here are a few Healthy Smoothie Recipes from my collection:
- Beet the Toxins
- Red Pepper Love
- Sweet Hazel
- Sweet Black Heart
- Green Detox
- First Date
- Bran New Love
- Berry Excited
- Green Ginger
For additional information and local places to shop for healthy foods, click on any of the following links:
Whole Foods Market
Brown Box Organics
The Organic Store Locator
From my home to yours, another favorite recipe – enjoyed with nutrition in mind.