Trying to provide a healthy, sugar-free start for you and your family in the mornings can be challenging. You can also feel limited on choices of protein options. Think about some alternatives to your eggs.
Consider spicing up breakfast tomorrow morning! This recipe allows you to turn up the heat with a little Tabasco or tomatillo sauce.
Always remember to begin by cooking with flavor-boosting, healthy, useable fats such as coconut, grape seed, or olive oil. Avocado is another great unsaturated fat to add or substitute.
By simply incorporating a few natural, healthy ingredients – you can give an old favorite a complete make-over! The best part is that these little changes keep you on track to maintaining a healthy eating plan for you and your family.
- 1 T. Chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1/4 medium avocado, diced or sliced thin
- 1 large egg
- 6 large egg whites (3/4 cup)
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 t. coconut or extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 T. tomatillo or Tobacco sauce or salsa
- Tomatoes (optional)
- Finely chop cilantro and set aside.
- Dice or slice avocado (inside of the peel to keep them from browning prematurely) and set aside.
- Combine egg and egg whites in a medium mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper. Gently whisk until blended smooth.
- Heal oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add egg mixture and cook, stirring occasionally: approximately 4 – 5 minutes to firmly set the eggs.
- Top the eggs off with Tomatillo or Tobacco sauce and avocado, then sprinkle the cilantro on top. Tomatoes can be added for additional color.
- 1-2 servings
- Nutritional Value: 298 calories; 16 g fat; 3 g saturated; 186 mg cholesterol; 748 mg sodium; 9 g carbohydrates; 3 g fiber; 5 g sugar; 29 g protein.
- Smaller portions every few hours throughout the day will boost metabolism and regulate blood sugar levels.
- Avocado is a great fat source and a good dietary supplement for those with cholesterol issues.
- Breakfast is an essential part of jump-starting the body to maintain good health and diet management.
- Always remember to seek the advice of a certified physician for any health or dietary needs.
For additional information and local places to shop for healthy foods, click on any of the following links:
Whole Foods Market
Brown Box Organics
The Organic Store Locator
From my home to yours, another favorite recipe – enjoyed with nutrition in mind.