Naturally sweetened breakfast meals are difficult to create, and so is finding a satisfying, sugar-free treat before bedtime. This recipe offers both! Whether you’re watching your weight, attempting to curb sugar cravings, or simply trying to maintain those healthy lifestyle habits, give this easy, heart healthy Sweet Chickpea Hash a try.
The protein from the chickpeas, coupled with the nutritious benefits of the Kale, then naturally sweetened by an apple – well, this is a recipe for success any way you look at it!
Ingredients for Sweet Chickpea Hash
- 1 large red or yellow onion, sliced thin (depends on flavor preference)
- 1 T. red or green *peppers (optional)
- 2 small apples or one large apple, diced (sweeter the better)
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 handful kale, rough chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Directions for Sweet Chickpea Hash
- Heat Olive or Coconut oil and saute onions until they caramelize, about 5-7 minutes
- Add in peppers and apple, stirring for 2-3 minutes
- Add chickpeas, stirring for 2-3 minutes
- Add the Kale and coat with warm ingredients
- Cover and cook on low until the kale wilts, about 3-5 minutes
- Remove from heat and serve immediately
- Prep enough for several meals and this recipe can easily be made several times throughout the week.
- If the apple is not sweet enough, you can keep it sugar free by adding a tablespoon of natural, organic maple syrup or Agave. Add this after the chickpeas have cooked in the skillet.
- If you desire some spice, add a teaspoon of Tabasco or Sriracha sauce.*Peppers of various heats can also be sauteed with the onions. Spice is a good compliment to the sweetness of the apple.
- For additional flavor, spices such as coriander, rosemary, or thyme may be added.
- Turkey sausage can be added for a heartier meal, but would be better served at breakfast and not recommended for a bedtime snack if dieting.
- Leftovers can be stored in a seal tight container for up to 5 days.
- Consider raw foods (See Smoothie recipes below) for added nourishment to your digestive system.
- Always consult your physician if you have special dietary needs.
If you enjoyed this recipe, then CHECK OUT some of my other Breakfast Favorites from my collection!
- Tomatillo and avocado scramble
- Mini Frittata Breakfast Cup
- Green Detox Smoothie
- Beet the Toxins
- Artichoke Heart
- Good Start Vitamin C
For ideas on where to shop for local or organic ingredients, please click on any of the links below:
• Boise Co-Op
• Whole Foods Market
• Brown Box Organics
• Idaho Organic Store Locator
From my home to yours: another favorite recipe – enjoyed with nutrition in mind.