With only 9 grams of fat (0 g Trans Fat!) these Avocado Filled Eggs make the traditional Deviled Eggs green with envy!
This is an excellent healthy version of an old favorite, and for more tricks on how to make your traditional comfort food recipes into healthier versions, click on the link in this sentence.
Give these pretty green appetizers a try at your next pot luck, social gathering, or family dinner. My Avocado Filled Deviled Egg recipe is easy enough for the kids to join in, and this recipe can be made in advance for added convenience to a busy lifestyle.
Ingredients for Avocado Filled Deviled Eggs
- 6 eggs (hard boiled)
- 2 small avocados / or 1 large
- 2 T. finely chopped red onion / or chives (plus 1 T. chives for garnish if desired)
- 1 1/2 finely chopped cilantro
- 3 T. fresh squeezed lime juice
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Garnish with Chives & very light dusting of of paprika or chili powder
Directions for Avocado Filled Deviled Eggs
- Boil eggs for 10 – 12 minutes. Drain water off, move to shallow bowl and allow to cool.
- Place eggs in refrigerator until cold; approximately one hour.
- Remove shells and cut eggs in half, lengthwise.
- Remove the yolks and set three (3-4 depending on size) aside in large mixing bowl.
- Arrange egg whites on a *platter and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, add avocado & lime juice to egg yolks.
- Mash with fork to desired *consistency.
- Fold in onion / and or chives; add salt & pepper to taste.
- Add cilantro and taste periodically to achieve desired consistency and taste.
- Spoon mixture into empty egg white halves.
- Sprinkle with paprika or chili powder and garnish as desired.
- Garnish considerations: I prefer sprinkling chives and a slight dusting of paprika. If you like spice, add a small dot of Sriracha sauce in the center, and then position a couple of longer chives in the center of the dot to denote the spicy versions.
- Line your serving tray or *platter with pretty red-leave lettuce to hold eggs in place.
- A hand mixer can be used for a silky, smooth *texture.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please click on any of the following links for additional Healthy Treats & Appetizer recipes from my collection!
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Healthy Pancakes Made with Love
- Natural (sugar free) apple cookies
- Nut Clusters
- Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
- Lemon-Blueberry Almond Flour Scones
- Sugar Cookies
For ideas on where to shop for local or organic ingredients, please click on any of the links below:
• Boise Co-Op
• Whole Foods Market
• Brown Box Organics
• Idaho Organic Store Locator
From my home to yours: another favorite recipe – enjoyed with nutrition in mind.