Living in Florida water is all around between lakes, oceans, streams, ponds and puddles but did you know that those waters can make your pug ill? Yes, even though water is imperative especially in the hot weather water can also be dangerous and deadly. For instance, when your pug drinks too much water it dilutes the sodium which is critical for the water to flow through the body into the cells such as brain cells. Lack of sodium in the blood cells could lead to swelling which could cause vomiting, nausea, bloating, lethargy, lack of coordination just to name a few possibilities. In extreme cases the onset of seizures, coma, or even death. To best prevention from overdrinking is to have your pug take drinking breaks and calm down.
Another issue especially with the warm weather here is Florida is the blue/green algae. This alga grows in areas such as lagoons and ponds. The algae smell bad but are attractive to pugs. However, when your pug swims in the affected water it could cause skin irritation or a rash. If your pug swims in affected water it is best to wash them thoroughly as soon as possible. If your pug drinks from affected water immediately take them to the veterinary. The contaminated water could cause diarrhea, walking impairments, and vomiting. It also affects the kidneys and nervous systems.
Other bacteria grow in standing water such as puddles, ponds, and lake. Giardia, Campylobacter, and Cryptosporidium are the most common parasites and cause gastrointestinal problems such as diarrhea and vomiting. These bacteria can be treated with antibiotics. Most pugs will recover with no problems but pugs that are young, older or with immunity issues may be compromised.
Leptospirosis is also a bacterium found in standing water but is caused but the urination of small animals. When pugs drink from the contaminated water is could cause kidney or liver failure. It will cause your pug to become lethargic or vomiting. Early treatment is best to help combat this bacterium. It is best to seek veterinarian care immediately and discuss options to treat this bacterium.
The ocean is the biggest body of water and some pugs love to romp in the waves. However, too much salt water whether by a retrieving a toy, drinking it, or accidently swallowing salt water could cause “beach diarrhea.” Salt water, of course, has salt in it. Salt pulls water from the blood and into the pug’s intestines which can lead to diarrhea with blood. Extreme amounts of salt water could cause vomiting, dehydration, seizures, and even worse. In these cases it is best to seek veterinarian care immediately. Again, the ocean is not going anywhere so give your pug a break time to calm down, out of the sun, and fresh water.
While at the beach make sure to be on the lookout for jellyfish. Jellyfish have nasty stings for humans and are dangerous to your pugs also. Many jellyfish are located near the shores or on the beach where your beach pugs can come into contact with them by sniffing them. The jellyfish tentacles’ release toxins and causes issues that varies pending the species. Even if the jellyfish is dried up the tentacles still can release the toxin especially to a curious pug that sniffs or may even bite into one. Some of the issues could be just an allergic reaction, an anaphylactic shock, or death. It is best to seek veterinarian care immediately.
Whether it is the jellyfish, seaweed, ocean water, Giardia and etc. be careful of your pug around all water. Pugs can drink something that can make the ill, pugs can drown, alligators that linger around, and so on. Water can attract a curious pug but water is still dangerous. Be mindful and pay attention.